Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: UV damage to fiberglass filter

1. Back To Top    #1

UV damage to fiberglass filter

I have a fiberglass sand filter that over the years has had the protective coating blasted off by UV rays. Anytime that I touch it in anyway I come away with glass in/on me. Kinda like a porcupine.

Can I paint it with a clear coating of varnish to cover it up and not get the itchy anymore? Has anyone done anything like this before?

thanks,
    dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: UV damage to fiberglass filter

This came up once before, in this topic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: UV damage to fiberglass filter

Wow that went off topic FAST.

I did sound like someone had painted a filter once. I'll ask a friend of mine that is a big deep blue sailor if he can recommend a marine coating to use. It would be nice to only have to do this once and get another 10 years out of it.

thanks
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .