Pump noise

MirGSS

Jun 3, 2015
Okemos MI
? Well now that I have the filter working perfectly well, our pump has started making a loud noise. I read a few different sites that gave me an idea of what it could be, but I'm no expert on pumps or motors in general. I took a video so you can hear the sound; anyone have an idea so I can be prepared when I tear it apart? I hate running it with that noise. I'm afraid it's going to seize or something and blow up the pool house.https://vimeo.com/136633583

Pardon typos; sheep have hooves, not hands.

Okay so now I'm neck-deep in research mode. This all started because I was trying to find what bearings I need without tearing the pump apart. Alas, I can't seem to find anything. Perhaps my Google-fu is weak.

So now I have additional questions.

1. Pump size vs filter size. Is there a general rule of thumb about this? My pump is a 1.5hp single speed (will update sig momentarily with model #). Filter is as noted in sig currently.
2. Plumbing. I actually don't know the size of my pipes; I'm about to go out and look. As far as pressure and head and all that is concerned, I need to know not only the diameter of the pipes but how far they travel, correct? Of course since everything is underground I won't have an exact measurement; is an estimate close enough?
3. Eyeball returns. My husband bought a couple of these and fitted them into the existing returns; our filter psi rose to 29 and he thought we were losing water (I didn't notice anything but I'm also not super observant). Haven't done any tests yet but we took the eyeballs out anyway. Filter now running somewhere between 22-25, I believe. We had to buy a new pressure gauge and so I don't actually know what the pressure was before I fixed the filter (replaced lateral assembly and replaced 1/2 of the sand). Could the increased pressure have caused a leak somewhere?
4. Pressure gauge. I haven't checked in a couple days but the last I saw, even when the pump was off, the needle was around 10. Remember: brand new gauge. Is it broken already? Does it indicate something else is wrong?
5. AM I WORRYING TOO MUCH AND SHOULD I JUST REPLACE THE G-D BEARINGS??? :D

I tried to do my own research but I was drowning in hydraulics (hyuk hyuk).

Thanks!

Likely, if you replace your pump with something similar, you should be fine unless you really want to geek out and get into all the engineering details about your plumbing and filter and such. You might look into a 2-speed motor or perhaps a variable speed motor. They will cost more than a single speed but are better with electricity.

Swimming Pool Calculations - Inyo Swimming Pool Products Supplies - INYOPools.com
is a good resource to learn about sizing equipment.

Your plumbing is likely a combination of 2" suction lines and perhaps 2" or 1.5" return lines (my return lines are 1.5").

You stopped up your return lines with the eyeballs so I would expect the pressure to rise.

What kind of pressure gauge did you get? If it was $5 or under, it is junk and could break any second now. Get yourself a nice glycerin-filled $10+ pressure gauge and you won't have to worry about it giving inaccurate readings. Knowing the pressure of your system IS important. In fact, go to TFTestkits.net and order up the TF-100 kit along with their pressure gauge (I have both) and you'll be all set for a while.

You could get your pump fixed or just replace it. Usually replacing it is faster and easier and might even be cheaper than fixing an older pump.

So, yeah. I done completely broke it.

I did want to nerd out because I'm a huge nerd but I just...totally failed.

I'll have to ask Mr Mir about the pressure gauge; I unscrewed it and it still read 9 psi.

ecc020188ef66bbebc1ec0733b34d5fa.jpg
a12c56f04a662e7d1f5f4291408120ae.jpg
03365954b43a81bf0a15a810e66dcd6b.jpg

So, a new pump was not really planned/in the budget for this year, so I'm not sure I want to go even more over budget and get a 2 speed/VS.

Looking at my options, I'm super confused about the differences between the pumps - even the ones just offered by Hayward. What's the diff between the Super and the Super II? What about the MaxFlo? Etc.

Also I see that I can just buy the motor which would be a cheaper option for me. Amazon has some A.O. Smith. Is this something people have tried and is legit? Or is it like buying the $20 Walmart trumpet instead of going to the music store and buying something that will actually work?

Replacing just the motor is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. I would recommend you get a seal kit at the same time to essentially "refurbish" the pump, otherwise, you'll almost certainly have leaks.

Also, it's not enough to get the same HP motor, you need to make frame size/hole pattern/shaft attachment. It will have a number/letter combo. For example, the Hayward Super II pumps use a 56J type of pump if my memory serves me correctly (which has a threaded shaft).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. So. I bought a new motor and it arrived earlier this week.

Of course I know nothing about electricity or wiring or anything, but I've generally had good luck diving headfirst into research mode. However, I am a bit stumped here.

Assuming I am on 115v from the way the old motor was wired (thank goodness I took pictures as I dismantled it!). Moved the power cord to the new motor and wired it according to the diagram on the motor. Plugged it in, flipped the breaker, and....nothing. Nothing at all.

Also my plug/outlet is a type G (or so it seems) and I don't know if that's acceptable for 115v?

Did I miss something? Did I break a brand new motor and I should just spend $$$$ to have the pool guys come out?

Attaching a pic of the old motor wiring and what I've got wired so far on the new motor.
5c2bfd01f7d25ca3bda8242e52fa17b5.jpg
6e21ea1eed7c52d3ff760007bd30144a.jpg

Is that a switch there with the 230 number on it? If it is a switch, and you move it, does it then display 115? If so, then do it. The motor appears to be set for 230 V instead of your 115 V.

Judging by the white neutral wire, your power feed into the pump is 115 V.

Yep I totally lied. Not on purpose. Here's what it looks like for real. Wires connected (white to silver, black to brass). Upon further inspection, I seem to be missing a connection or two. I'll put up some more pics of old/new.

Maybe my Google Fu is not strong enough but it seems like there should be like a Haynes manual for this or something.
9545585374204dc46ae7f33c64b14266.jpg

OK. Old terminal board shows a white/black wire attached. There was also a black wire but I just pulled it off.

Old cap shows 2 yellow and 1 red wire.

New terminal board has nothing attached but wires from the cord (power conduit? Trying to learn the lingo).

New cap only has 2 red wires.
78b5c1bbd5190c9602f7777492c1820c.jpg
df28c8c2e9b955e03a5ae54a14132736.jpg
0dd3929215ac1d64cc3a360ace1a4808.jpg
a6478e28ad8565c6b0d1a2d694bedae4.jpg

Also I have discovered that the pump is running on 230v. I imagine that's part of my problem. [emoji14]

Maybe I'm getting caught up in the details, but if it's 230, why does the power cord have a white wire?

Is your power cord a molded cord or is it more of a flexible conduit that has loose wires pulled through it.

If it is a molded cord, that would explain the white wire and by code, I *think* it might be okay for 230 V.

If it is a conduit with wire pulled through, then it really should be two blacks or two reds or a black and a red...for 230 V.

I don't know this motor well enough to help you with all the wiring. I'm assuming you got something very similar to what you had. All you should have to do is hook up 3 wires: two power if 230 V or 1 power and 1 neutral if 115 V and 1 green/equipment ground. That is it. Assuming you do have the required voltage at the pump, and being brand new, it ought to function.

I *think* it's molded? I just don't want everything to break EVEN MORE.

Just got the end of the bonding wire stripped; I'll rig it up real quick and hope I don't die. I'm going to need a new wire though; so far I've cut it in 3 different places.

Okay. Seriously. It's one thing after another.

I got it all wired and pit back together except for the housing gasket and the diffuser gasket, which I seem to not have (???). I turned the pump on just to see if it would work. It did! I waited for a minute to see if it would catch prime, but I was nervous about air leaks, etc.

So I went to the pool store and bought the gaskets.

And I cannot get the impeller off to save my life. Neither can my husband. I found a YouTube video that recommended taking the motor apart and using a vise on the main part along with a strap wrench.

Only I can't get the motor cover off either.

What gives, guys? Any tips or tricks? There's this thing at the end of the shaft that I don't remember seeing on the old motor (but I could have just forgotten). Not sure if it is meant to come off and I can't seem to find a tear down/rebuild process anywhere for this particular motor.
87b15f3e1d448c87f3fc1555df93b430.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.