pentair pushpull backwash valve stuck

Aug 18, 2015
tucson arizona
Hello everyone I am trying to replace either the o-rings or the whole push pull assembly...however I can't get the assembly out of the pvc valve. I have removed the screws on top of the assembly and the screws attaching it to the pvc valve..I don't know how much force to apply to pull assembly out. I would appreciate any ideas on how to get this thing out...I'm assuming it is something to do with the large o-rings being old. The pushpull backwash valve is old Pentair attached to Triton sand filter. Pool built in 1987, it is an inground plaster pool.

Ok. So this is how I removed the valve piston. Embedded in ABS where the SS pin is place is a 5/16 hex head. Used 5/16 socket/ratchet turned CC ones the assembly started to turn I pulled up slightly while turning rachect. Assembly came out no issuea. I lubed orings and reinstalled for now. I believe there is possible issue with orings used. There are different oring material other than what is used on this application. I think it’s EPMD. I might have the acronym wrong. Maybe Kalrez or Teflon incapsulated they are both used in chemical and acid solution environments. I will be installing a Multiport valve instead of replacing the piston assembly. Hopefully that will work better than the Push/Pull Valve. Picture hard to make out but you can see the hex head top of shaft

Attachments

• E071FA9D-84E1-41FB-AEBD-9D02C62D17D0.jpg
    E071FA9D-84E1-41FB-AEBD-9D02C62D17D0.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: