Starting the Algae Battle (Again)

Aug 18, 2015
Saint Louis
Hi guys,

This is my first post and I would like to say this forum is awesome! I've spent the last few days reading an abundance of material on this forum and have learned so much more than I thought I already knew about pools. To give you a little background, I manage (or try to the best of my ability) my Grandmother's pool. It was my Grandpa's baby up until about 4 years ago when he passed. I took care of it for two seasons and had a never ending battle with algae both seasons and went through a lot of liquid chlorine. Gma decided to keep the pool closed two years ago and here we are today taking care of it. She had your average tarp like cover on it and battled keeping water off of it and keeping it clear of leaves. This has gotten to be too big of a struggle for a woman in her late 70's and now I have convinced her to install a hard safety cover on it which I am so happy she agreed to.

Anyways, to get to my point... :). The water level in the pool dropped too low and the cover split and we lost a lot of debris in the pool. I hurried over and a friend and I got the remainder of the cover off the pool and got it cut up and in the trash. The pool water was very dirty, with lots of leaves/other debris in the water. I convinced gma the best plan of action is to get the water cleaned up and to get the safety cover on. We worked on the pool all weekend!!

I spent most of last week studying TFP and pool school, as well as the sticky in this section, which was so excellently written. I realized that one of the key ingredients I was missing in my two seasons of running the pool was CYA.. Somehow I was totally unaware of the absolute necessity of that chemical. That being said, I did use 3'' tabs which should have been adding CYA but it is possible I used too much (I was unaware at the time that they added CYA and that too much could make the chlorine in-effective).

All that being said, I spent this weekend raking/vacuuming to waste all of the leaves/debris out of the pool. We brought the water level up and all of the equipment is up and running. At the end of the day Saturday I added about 11 Pounds of granular CYA (as according to the pool calculator) into 4 socks and tied them to 2 telescoping poles and dangled them in front of our two returns. I opted to place them in front of the returns instead of in the skimmer; 1- Four socks loaded with 11 pounds of CYA would have been too much for the skimmer(I felt) and 2- I wanted the CYA to dissolve faster. The CYA in front of the more powerful return dissolved in 24hrs. I expect the remainder to be dissolved by the end of today. I also added some dry acid (mixed into bucket to dissolve first) to lower my PH to a more acceptable level from 8.0. I ordered the Taylor 2006 test kit and it should be in by the end of this week and I will then test my CYA level. Having learned that the CYA test is somewhat unreliable with heavy algae(which is what we have now that the cover is off) I will try to filter the water sample through a coffee filter as suggested by Jason I think. Towards the end of the week I'm planning to pick up 45 gallons of liquid chlorine to SLAM the pool and be sure that I have enough on hand to keep the FC level at shock level for as long as necessary. While SLAMming I plan to brush the pool at least once a day and be sure to break the algae off any place it could be hiding. The ladder is not in the pool so that is one thing I will not have to worry about it holding onto.

I think I covered all of my plans thus far... I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help out fellow pool managers like myself who need advice. I plan to try and keep this thread updated as I go along making progress. Will try to get some pictures up as well. Hoping to start the SLAM process Friday.

Jason

I hate to say it, but you made me cry!! (and I'm a guy!!) You got it! I'm sure there are fine points and nit picks that could be tweaked, but that's for after you get it cleaned up.

One important thing that needs to be mentioned. Take pictures. Especially of steps or stairs. Take at least one each day or more often if you like. That way you can see the progress. Sometimes it goes slow but the pics always show the results.

- - - Updated - - -

The automatic cleaner can hide algae, and if there are lights in the pool, you'll need to remove them and clean inside the niche.

Hello Jason and welcome. You appear to have done your homework. :goodjob: Until your kit arrives, about the only other thing you can do is continue to sweep and remove any "muck" that may still be in the pool. You can also add a gallon of bleach each evening until you officially start your SLAM just to help keep the algae from getting to much worse. Definitively try to confirm that new CYA level before starting the SLAM so you know what FC to maintain. Other than that, you are our star pupil! We salute you. :salut: Don't forget to post pics as you transform that pond back to a pool. :)

This was Wednesday last week when we got the cover all the way off and started to fill the pool.

92f832248bb177136e09fa1be58918e8.jpg

Don't judge me- this was this past Saturday after I got all the leaves/debris out and a while after I had added CYA and dry acid. I researched to make sure the dry acid wouldn't hurt me and it sounds like it dissolves into the water almost instantly (on top of already being dissolved in a bucket of water). So I was beat after working hard on the pool area in general (trimming, weeding, and moving cinder blocks back to storage) so I jumped in and cooled off!!! Lol! I survived :).

c9c2ad2ab62a1523c0ece1b28a895d00.jpg

More pics to come when treatment starts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way- looking back at this picture I have realized that if I want my duck and dolphin friends back in the pool I will need to wash them down pretty good; since I have learned that something as simple as pool toys can bring your algae problem back.

No judgment here either... glad someone got to enjoy the pool sometime this year! I always get a little sad hearing about closed up, neglected pools :(

Are you planning on opening it up next season and ENJOYING it!?? Please make sure Grandma has a stylin' bathing suit and can enjoy it too :splash:

Lol!! You and me both! Having grown up in that pool it was tough seeing it sit for the last two years but it's as Grandma wishes. It was so great to be back in it and I plan to have it crystal clear before the cover goes on hopefully. I would love nothing more but to open it next year- I'll have to see about convincing gma ;). After all, the pool should be opened if not just to clean the water, right? ;). Lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good and Good Luck!!!

As far as Ducky, and Dolphin go. If they have the holes in the bottom of them that makes them squeak, you might want to replace them altogether when you get finished because I've seen the rubber ducky bathtub toys cut in half, and the stuff that is lurking in there just from the bathtub can be pretty gross. So I wouldn't want to see you expose your soon to be clean pool unnecessarily to algae again.

If they have no holes in them, then a good swim and scrubbing in a bucket of diluted chlorine will probably be enough to allow them to once again be able to swim freely in clear water. :) Have a nice day.

35ba79f63c4d8479e42f1645f0c6b743.jpg

Test kit came in yesterday! This thing is awesome! Headed to Grandmas after work today to test CYA. Will report back.

Congrats on your first step to a Trouble Free Pool.

If you plan to SLAM you better order more R-0871 (chlorine reagent). You are going to blow through that 0.75oz at warp speed.

Also, your CYA that you added will not show up in the test for a week or so. I would have held off until I got my test kit.

Be sure to post your first set of results!

Dom

Sounds good and Good Luck!!!

As far as Ducky, and Dolphin go. If they have the holes in the bottom of them that makes them squeak, you might want to replace them altogether when you get finished because I've seen the rubber ducky bathtub toys cut in half, and the stuff that is lurking in there just from the bathtub can be pretty gross. So I wouldn't want to see you expose your soon to be clean pool unnecessarily to algae again.

If they have no holes in them, then a good swim and scrubbing in a bucket of diluted chlorine will probably be enough to allow them to once again be able to swim freely in clear water. :) Have a nice day.

Good advice!! They were floating chlorinators and so I don't think they take any water in but I will leave them out just in case. I don't think I'll be using any tablets for the remainder of the season and instead use only liquid chlorine after the pool clears up.

Congrats on your first step to a Trouble Free Pool.

If you plan to SLAM you better order more R-0871 (chlorine reagent). You are going to blow through that 0.75oz at warp speed.

Also, your CYA that you added will not show up in the test for a week or so. I would have held off until I got my test kit.

Be sure to post your first set of results!

Dom

Thanks Dom! With the CYA added last Saturday I'm hoping it will show up on the test by this evening or tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can get more of that reagent from a local store.

Thanks!

Jason

Welcome Jason, this is a great story. I will suggest when you test the chlorine level to use 5ml or 10 ml samples, not 25ml. 5ml gives 1ppm precision, 10ml gives 0.5ppm, and 25ml gives 0.2ppm. At the start of the process, smaller samples will be adequate and will save reagents. High precision is only needed for an oclt test at the end of the slam. Best wishes!

Welcome Jason, this is a great story. I will suggest when you test the chlorine level to use 5ml or 10 ml samples, not 25ml. 5ml gives 1ppm precision, 10ml gives 0.5ppm, and 25ml gives 0.2ppm. At the start of the process, smaller samples will be adequate and will save reagents. High precision is only needed for an oclt test at the end of the slam. Best wishes!

Thanks for the advice!! I will certainly do that and try to make my reagent last.

I went over last night and got to try out my new test kit! Turns out PH jumped way up after a big rain we just had and unfortunately I was only able to give the pool about half the dry acid dose I needed to take it from 8.0 down to 7.2. I'm going to add more dry acid late this morning once we pick some more up.

My question is- how soon should I wait to test PH after more dry acid is added? Or can I begin to SLAM after I add the dry acid and assume the PH will have lowered to about 7.2?

Edit: I forgot to add I tested CYA and it was looking like it was testing at about 30ppm. I could just barely see the black dot, but it had apparently faded. I'm going to test again today to see if I get any different results.

(Yesterday)

78b2b39991723cc6ac29f0b47cb01647.jpg

6881dc7ba6cc68db78a0330877af3769.jpg

0d620e84ae81e7c9db6c778f810bce28.jpg

Jason

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.