Mechanical timer with new variable speed pump

stv65g

Aug 18, 2015
Tampa, FL
Hello, I'll be switching from a mechanical pump to a variable speed one in the next few days. In reading the manual, it says to power the VS pump directly and take the mechanical timer out of the circuit. Not a problem except that it also controls the salt generator. I've read both manuals and searched online and I don't see a way to control the salt generator anyway other than the mechanical timer. I think I need the equivalent of a relay on the pump that would power the salt generator but I don't see how to accomplish that. Ideas?

Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
Jandy Pro Series AquaPure PLC700

My VS pump is wired to the hot side of the timer and the SWG is wired to the switched side. This allows me to set the run time of the SWG is pretty handy.

I run my pump a lot more than my SWG. We have lots of trees and solar panels. Pump runs at least 12 and often 24 hours per day if the trees are busy. SWG is running 8 hours at 60% right now.

Depends on your run time of the pump. If you run your pump a long time in order to filter, or just because you like water movement, then its possible to overchlorinate unless you lower the output of the SWG. Some swgs like mine is set up, can only adjust the output in 20 precent increments.

Like Pooldv, I run my VS pump a LOT for filtering and because I like to play around with RPMs and enjoy varying water currents in the pool. I have my SWG on the timer so I can set teh SWG run time independent of the pump run time.

The timer eliminates having to do that and makes maintaining a nice constant FC easier and may also extend the lifetime of my SW cell.

Why wouldn't I want the SWG to run in unison with the pump?

You will find that with a VS pump you can run it a low speeds for a very long time for a very low energy cost. My pump runs for most of its time at 1,000 rpm drawing 100 watts. I have a daily run schedule.

0500-0800 2800 rpm 1200 watts (in floor cleaning system)
0800-1600. 1200 rpm. 138 watts (SWG is switched on from 0830-1500)
1600-2400. 1000 rpm. 100 watts (extra filtration)

In addition my solar ramps the pump up to 2500 rpm as needed to heat the pool.

With a VS pump you can see it is very cheap to run the pump many more hours than you need or want the SWG to be on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.