Closing Pool (What chemicals and where to purchase them)

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Can someone please recommend which Polyquat-60 Algaecide they use to close their pool. I understand that the non-foaming (non metallic) is the best one to use. I have read and re-read the threads from many members, etc.

Last year, the pool company closed my pool and added chemicals. Also, used the frog system for the beginning of the season until I switched. I believe they contained copper and other minerals, metals. Testing from the pool company shows no metals in my water or low enough where there is no problems.

Also, any other secrets would be of help. I believe only the Algaecide is necessary. Thank you.

All Polyquat 60 is the same. I personaly buy this as it's the cheapest I've found. It went up slightly however as it used to be around $17, so keep an eye on it's price.......it may go down some.

All Polyquat 60 is the same. I personaly buy this as it's the cheapest I've found. It went up slightly however as it used to be around $17, so keep an eye on it's price.......it may go down some.

Thank you. I will be ordering 2 of them for the free shipping as my friend will need one for his pool. Should I bring pool to shock level based on CYA and allow it to drift down a little bit before closing? My FC reading was at 5 when pool was closed and 7 months later, it was 2 upon opening, which was not bad.

Sounds like you've got the process down. :goodjob::goodjob: Just remember also to allow the water to get below 60° before you close and open before it hits 60°. Doing this will also reduce the risk of opening to a green pool.

Thank you Leebo and Duraleigh:

Received my PolyQuat from Amazon. Even though I am about 1 month away from closing the pool, I am ready. The modified cover is ready and the cyclone blower as well.

I will be lowering the water below the skimmers only through the Main Drain, then closing off the suction side (main drain and skimmers). I will blow out all the returns and plug them off first. Then come back work on skimmers (plug them off) and lastly after the main drain bubbles for about 45-60, I will close the valve, creating the air lock. All the fittings and plugs will be removed off the pump and filter, etc. Lastly, the cover will go on with water tubes.

This will be done with help! :)

Of course, the steps will be removed first. Then I will add the PolyQuat 60 and allow it to circulate for about 30 minutes before starting the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.