Pool perimeter caulking at concrete-brick-junction

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Recently finished a plumbing project under the pool’s concrete deck.
There is “caulk” at the concrete-brick-junction (decorative brick is between concrete & pool).
The repair area in question is about 18 inches. The concrete guy did not leave a “huge 1/3-inch gap” like the rest of the perimeter caulk area but he did round the top with his trowel & plans to inject some very hi quality caulk in it.
No worries, right? There will be a bead of caulk, just not 1/3 inch x 1 inch deep; more like 1/5 inch wide x ¼ inch deep.
He’s seems like a very bright contractor.
Always wondered about that perimeter caulking because it seems like low quality & a silly design (too wide, too deep, soft material); I’ve replaced it once & repaired/added to it more than once.
Thanks

Thanks for the deck-o- seal tip. Will use it next time.
I’m sure the caulk is OK.
Is the fact that it’s only more like 1/5 inch wide x ¼ inch deep rather than like the rest of the primeter which is about 1/3 inch x 1 inch deep
Thanks

HeckPools,
I've got the Deck-o-Seal on order.
Re the P/G primer. You use that or not? Or do you get a similar product at Lowes/Hm Depot?
>$100 for the minimum order for the P/G Primer.
My guess is past installers did not use a primer & that is why keeps needing remake? So no need to be cheap.
If you have or have not used the PG or other primer, have you seen the Deck-o-Seal last a good long time.
Sounds permanent if you do it right?
Thanks

These guys have Primer as might local construction supply
http://www.conelyco.com/wr.htm

Caulk-o-seal comes in 3 or 4 pack & 1 is probably all you need.
Pool stores will break up the caulk, constuction supply companies won't

call the mfg 1800-542-7665 re who in your area has the Deck-o-Seal.
Leslie's for me. But not the Primer at Leslie's
Primer min order is ~ $100, so ok from a non-pool store

Print that page from
http://www.deckoseal.com/787.htm
because you need to figure how much to order & a few other details.

Any concrete guys out there? Are primers at Lowes OK? Caulk-o-Seal is an elastomeric, polysulfide-based joint sealant- so if it says its comaptible w that, then I guess so? But I don't want to be cheap & stupid.

Johnny B said:
HeckPools,
I've got the Deck-o-Seal .
Re the P/G primer. You use that or not? Or do you get a similar product at Lowes/Hm Depot?
>$100 for the minimum order for the P/G Primer.
If you have or have not used the PG or other primer, have you seen the Deck-o-Seal last a good long time.
Thanks

Drats, no concrete guys around. Anyone?

Re my prior post about "he repair area in question is about 18 inches. The concrete guy did not leave a “huge 1/3-inch wide gap” like the rest of the perimeter caulk area but he did round the top with his trowel & plans to inject some very hi quality caulk in it."
Here are photos of the area of my concern:

Attachments

• new vs old 1 of 3.JPG
    new vs old 1 of 3.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 174
  • new vs old 2of3.JPG
    new vs old 2of3.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 173
  • new vs old 3of3.JPG
    new vs old 3of3.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 173
Same pool & A DIFFERENT area of concern I'd like help with.
History of reapair about 1 year ago because the deck/concrete slab pulled away from the pool & left a huge gap; too large a gap to just add caulk or re-caulk, had to pour concrete (should have used cement since the deck is cement or makes no difference?)

A bead of the (wrong?) caulk was placed (poor adhesion and or still some slab movement?). Then this area underwent the winter & here is what happened (from poor adhesion and or still some slab movement?).
The two brick chip photos show best the very small bead of caulk that failed; looking at the other two photos you may wrongly think the lighter colored area is the new failed caulk- no, that is the new concrete.
Photo "2of " shows that even the new concrete repair is failing. Should I chip out just bits of the failing concrete to create an ideal half-inch gap & pour Deck-o-Seal, or, shoud I remove the entire repair & start over using cement & be sure to leave a more ideal gap. I can tell you the surfaces were not primed at any time during the repair.

Attachments

• 1of.JPG
    1of.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 2of.JPG
    2of.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 163
  • brick chip 1of2.JPG
    brick chip 1of2.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 163
My thinking is & feel free to comment: do the entire pool perimeter now except this problem area. Remove & redo the entire concrete repair & leave a bettter gap- but this is very messy & best done w the cover on & perhaps the cooler weather will better concrete conditions in that the slab is contracted so the gap will be larger natuarally

Final photo:

Attachments

• brick chip 2of2.JPG
    brick chip 2of2.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 159
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.