Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool perimeter caulking at concrete-brick-junction

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool perimeter caulking at concrete-brick-junction

Recently finished a plumbing project under the pool’s concrete deck.
    There is “caulk” at the concrete-brick-junction (decorative brick is between concrete & pool).
    The repair area in question is about 18 inches. The concrete guy did not leave a “huge 1/3-inch gap” like the rest of the perimeter caulk area but he did round the top with his trowel & plans to inject some very hi quality caulk in it.
    No worries, right? There will be a bead of caulk, just not 1/3 inch x 1 inch deep; more like 1/5 inch wide x ¼ inch deep.
    He’s seems like a very bright contractor.
    Always wondered about that perimeter caulking because it seems like low quality & a silly design (too wide, too deep, soft material); I’ve replaced it once & repaired/added to it more than once.
    Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool perimeter caulking at concrete-brick-junction

are you asking if the caulk with be ok?? it should be, depending on the type of caulk. Ive always used deck-o-seal good stuff.

http://www.deckoseal.com/787.htm
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the deck-o- seal tip. Will use it next time.
    I’m sure the caulk is OK.
    Is the fact that it’s only more like 1/5 inch wide x ¼ inch deep rather than like the rest of the primeter which is about 1/3 inch x 1 inch deep
    Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF

4. Back To Top    #4

HeckPools,
    I've got the Deck-o-Seal on order.
    Re the P/G primer. You use that or not? Or do you get a similar product at Lowes/Hm Depot?
    >$100 for the minimum order for the P/G Primer.
    My guess is past installers did not use a primer & that is why keeps needing remake? So no need to be cheap.
    If you have or have not used the PG or other primer, have you seen the Deck-o-Seal last a good long time.
    Sounds permanent if you do it right?
    Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Mind if I ask where you purchased the deck-o-seal? I've been trying to find some and can't seem to locate a retailer. They won't sell to me direct.

Thanks...

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

6. Back To Top    #6

These guys have Primer as might local construction supply
    http://www.conelyco.com/wr.htm

Caulk-o-seal comes in 3 or 4 pack & 1 is probably all you need.
    Pool stores will break up the caulk, constuction supply companies won't

call the mfg 1800-542-7665 re who in your area has the Deck-o-Seal.
    Leslie's for me. But not the Primer at Leslie's
    Primer min order is ~ $100, so ok from a non-pool store

Print that page from
    http://www.deckoseal.com/787.htm
    because you need to figure how much to order & a few other details.

Any concrete guys out there? Are primers at Lowes OK? Caulk-o-Seal is an elastomeric, polysulfide-based joint sealant- so if it says its comaptible w that, then I guess so? But I don't want to be cheap & stupid.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B
    HeckPools,
    I've got the Deck-o-Seal .
    Re the P/G primer. You use that or not? Or do you get a similar product at Lowes/Hm Depot?
    >$100 for the minimum order for the P/G Primer.
    If you have or have not used the PG or other primer, have you seen the Deck-o-Seal last a good long time.
    Thanks
    Drats, no concrete guys around. Anyone?

Re my prior post about "he repair area in question is about 18 inches. The concrete guy did not leave a “huge 1/3-inch wide gap” like the rest of the perimeter caulk area but he did round the top with his trowel & plans to inject some very hi quality caulk in it."
    Here are photos of the area of my concern:
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Same pool & A DIFFERENT area of concern I'd like help with.
    History of reapair about 1 year ago because the deck/concrete slab pulled away from the pool & left a huge gap; too large a gap to just add caulk or re-caulk, had to pour concrete (should have used cement since the deck is cement or makes no difference?)

A bead of the (wrong?) caulk was placed (poor adhesion and or still some slab movement?). Then this area underwent the winter & here is what happened (from poor adhesion and or still some slab movement?).
    The two brick chip photos show best the very small bead of caulk that failed; looking at the other two photos you may wrongly think the lighter colored area is the new failed caulk- no, that is the new concrete.
    Photo "2of " shows that even the new concrete repair is failing. Should I chip out just bits of the failing concrete to create an ideal half-inch gap & pour Deck-o-Seal, or, shoud I remove the entire repair & start over using cement & be sure to leave a more ideal gap. I can tell you the surfaces were not primed at any time during the repair.

9. Back To Top    #9

My thinking is & feel free to comment: do the entire pool perimeter now except this problem area. Remove & redo the entire concrete repair & leave a bettter gap- but this is very messy & best done w the cover on & perhaps the cooler weather will better concrete conditions in that the slab is contracted so the gap will be larger natuarally

Final photo: