The grass is always greener...

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Now that the hectic busy summer season is slowing down, I thought it would be a good time ask everyone, if you had to build your pool again, what would you do different. Lets say you moved to a new house without an existing pool. Would you stick with the same type construction (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass), same or different style (sports, social, freeform general, etc.) Also would you have more or less of the bells and whistles (automation, color change lighting, in floor cleaning, water features, etc.) Anything else, like have it closer / farther from the house, with or without this type of stone / tile or that, ... and just saying bigger is not a fair answer and I don't think anyone here has ever said I wish my pool was smaller.

Also please say if your reasoning is based on a change of lifestyle (kids bigger / grown, etc.)

Ike

I would get whichever type of pool that would give me diving room. Deeper *is* better! Otherwise I'm very happy with my fiberglass pool.

I'd know now to ask for pavers or at least stamped concrete. I regret that our PB didn't try to upsell me on that. I would have bitten ;)

I'm very happy to have minimal bells and whistles automation wise...less to break down or pay for. My simple, practical Intermatic timer is enough. :)

I'm disappointed in the Savi Melody LED lights- not bright enough...and who really needs seizure inducing color changes to the music beat???

Very little actually if I was doing a pool in the same space. If I had unlimited space, I'd make a second pool as a lap pool, about 8 feet wide and about 25 yards long (Olympic short) and about 6 feet deep and you'd never see me again because I would just swim laps to my hearts content.

One thing I would never do different. I would never put decking around the pool. Grass and landscaping for me 100000% of the time. 'Hate' decking.

Quite happy with the level of automation we have which is medium to high? Not really sure how to judge that.

Perfectly and delightfully happy with the flagstone coping as well.

I would LOVE to be able to do it again.

My move and lifestyle would be due to winning the lottery which by the way, I plan on happening on Saturday! haha! Or if I moved because of work.

I would go gunite. Pebble Sheen that would provide a caribbean aqua color.
40 x 20 freeform 8 ft deep
Tanning Shelf and benches with bubblers or returns over them to blow off the dirt. Several more returns for circulation.
Spa with a water feature table in the middle of it. If I want water shooting up from the middle of the table, turn the valve on. If I need a place to sit my margarita or cold beer, turn the valve off.
I like the 1 inch square glass tiles that Ive seen on other spas in Under Construction. I would like to do that.
LED lighting
Pentair VS Pump, Big Cartridge Filter and SWG. No automation. Built in timers on the pump, and Intermatic on the SWG and pool lights.
Smallish Grotto on deep end with so I could dive off the top of it
Saltwater because its just super easy and I am naturally lazy and saltwater just feels great to boot.
Tumbled Travertine Deck, sealed for dry natural appearance
Palapa for shade with Bar and TV lounging area
3 skimmers
Main Drain w/ Hydrostatic valve
all returns, skimmers, drains, etc, plumbed individually to the equipment pad
Vacuum to waste line/ valve between the pump and Cartridge filter
Jandy valves on every plumbing line
Dolphin Robot

I would be the builder

I would stick with diving pool, slide, sand-filter, and auto-cover. I would lose the uni-lock pavers unless I could do it without sand grout. Looks great, but way too much sand-grout gets in the pool. I would enlarge my deck area, and keep my lush plantings a little farther away from the water.

We love our play/sport pool. No regrets on that.

We love
Saltwater
Solar and solar controller
VS pump
pebblesheen
sunshelf
Waterfall
Not much automation
Separate hot tub on the patio and not built in the pool

We missed
A prime place to add one more bench
Deeper sun shelf, maybe 9ish instead of 6ish
Ditch the 3.5' and go 4'x5'x4'

I will not say bigger, it is enough to brush as it is and we've never needed more room even with a herd of people. But, the play pool allows everyone to spread out and still stand up. Sometimes we make a kid side and an adult side.

I might
Switch from flagstone coping to something concrete because flagstone is HOT!
Switch from cartridge to sand filter

I'd go with rectangular vs. Grecian and have an auto cover.
I'd stick with the diving pool.
I have no automation now other than an Intermatic timer. Thought I'd add more, but I just check the temperature and open or close the valve to the solar. So I guess I wouldn't automate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.