Return Plumbing?

Jul 20, 2015
Newton, NJ
I've been interviewing PB's as my wife and I down-select. The PB we are 90% sure we are going with ties all of his return lines together. The pool we are choosing will most likely have 3 returns. I think I've read on this forum that the desired method is individual 2" lines to each? What are the advantages? I'm sure if I am adamant he will do whatever I'd like.

The skimmer and main drains are 2" rigid separate all the way to the pump.

ac

Does your pool have an attached spa? Or any water features? How long are your pipe runs from pool to equipment pad?

For equipment pad plumbing I have 2" on the output side (3 pool returns all tied together underground and reduced before the pool) and for skimmer and main drain my pool is 2.5" to my pump. This arrangement is duplicated for my spa and just insert a electronic actuated valve to switch in between the two on both before the pump and then after the SWG.

In the pic below you'll see two pipes capped. The one on the left is the 2" dedicated vacuum port, the one on the right is one of three reduced return lines. You'll see this return line is reduced from 2" very close to the pool then tee'd and reduced to the return near the shallow end which is about another ~15 feet away.
P1030092.jpg

Here's a pic of my pad:
P1030467.jpg

Last edited:
I think I've read on this forum that the desired method is individual 2" lines to each?
There is no need for that. Unless you are pumping 200-300 GPM, that is way overkill.

In a large pool (with a large filter) 2" lines will come off the multiport and quickly drop to 1.5 " distribution to each return.

2 Inch on the suction side and 1.5 on the return side is more than enough.

I like the idea of each pipe individually plumbed all the way to the pad with a valve on for a few reasons.

1. It lets you balance your return flow better. WIth a 'Loop' return system such as your PB is proposing, each return after the 1st one will have a little less flow than the one before it. If you needed to change the flow to improve circulation by adjusting flow on the return furthest from the pump, you would have no way to do it except by re-sizing the eyeball, which really isnt very efficient and many times, ineffective.

2. If you ever sprung a leak undergroud, you can put a plug in the return fitting in the pool and close the valve on the leaky pipe, and the leak would be stopped. With a Loop return, you cannot do that. The water would drain down to the level of the leak and stay there until you can dig up and fix it.

Does your pool have an attached spa? Or any water features? How long are your pipe runs from pool to equipment pad?

For equipment pad plumbing I have 2" on the output side (3 pool returns all tied together underground and reduced before the pool) and for skimmer and main drain my pool is 2.5" to my pump. This arrangement is duplicated for my spa and just insert a electronic actuated valve to switch in between the two on both before the pump and then after the SWG.

In the pic below you'll see two pipes capped. The one on the left is the 2" dedicated vacuum port, the one on the right is one of three reduced return lines. You'll see this return line is reduced from 2" very close to the pool then tee'd and reduced to the return near the shallow end which is about another ~15 feet away.

No spa or fancy water features. In NJ if we wanted a spa it would make more sense to go standalone so we could use it in the fall/winter/spring.

We dont' know how long the runs are, as we are still working out the layout. They will either be quite short (equipment located near pool) or quite long (50' if equipment is located by house).

ac

- - - Updated - - -

2 Inch on the suction side and 1.5 on the return side is more than enough.

I like the idea of each pipe individually plumbed all the way to the pad with a valve on for a few reasons.

1. It lets you balance your return flow better. WIth a 'Loop' return system such as your PB is proposing, each return after the 1st one will have a little less flow than the one before it. If you needed to change the flow to improve circulation by adjusting flow on the return furthest from the pump, you would have no way to do it except by re-sizing the eyeball, which really isnt very efficient and many times, ineffective.

2. If you ever sprung a leak undergroud, you can put a plug in the return fitting in the pool and close the valve on the leaky pipe, and the leak would be stopped. With a Loop return, you cannot do that. The water would drain down to the level of the leak and stay there until you can dig up and fix it.

That was kinda my thought as well. I'll broach the subject if/when we go with him and get to the real negotiations.

ac

Our 3 returns are plumbed on one line. Simple pool, no spa, etc. they bring the line size down very similarly to what you describe. They all put out a very similar volume of water.

There are benefits the other way as mentioned above, but I have no problem with mine at all the way they are.

Ours are buried in the pool walls. Hope they never leak! I lose no sleep over this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.