Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
How fast does chlorine degrade in 100 degree temps? I ask because I typically fill my 15g tank with 10g of 8.25%. I added 4g of "Awesome Bleach" from Dollar Store a while ago, and pretty sure things got diltued to about 5 or 6%. But at 100 degrees with tank in sun, I'm wondering if the tank has like 3% in it now.... I keep having to run my timer longer and longer to keep FC above 3. Just curious if I should stick with less than 5g in the tank at anytime. I normally use 32oz/day, up to 48oz now and probbaly need to add more.

See this post that shows that in 100ºF temperature 8.25% bleach drops to 5.8% over one month. Keep in mind that this would be for constant 100ºF but you probably have lower nighttime temps. Based on this link in August the daytime average is 97ºF while the nighttime is 75ºF. So with that 22ºF temperature difference the effective average temperature is 75+15 = 90ºF. So the degradation would be from 8.25% to 6.75% over one month.

Note that the worst thing possible is for the tank to be exposed to the UV of sunlight so I hope that the tank is fully opaque to UV (preferably opaque to all sunlight and either in the shade or a white or reflective tank so that it does not absorb heat).

Thanks! It's been hot with no rain for a couple months. I could see 8.25 going to 6 with cheap bleach (never again!), and probably to 4 with the heat. Tank is white but full sun at least 5 hrs a day. May buy a metallic water heater insulating jacket for it. May need to find a place in the house to store the stock, since it's probably 90 degrees in the garage most of the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It probably won't degrade completely to zero. If you read the post chem geek linked to it shows that even after 6 months in 70-100 degree weather it only degraded to roughly 3.5%. Seems like it mostly stabilizes there.

So if you store in a cool place out of the sun you should be able to do a bit better than that. Not so much money down the drain, but less value for the dollar.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

It probably won't degrade completely to zero. If you read the post chem geek linked to it shows that even after 6 months in 70-100 degree weather it only degraded to roughly 3.5%. Seems like it mostly stabilizes there.

So if you store in a cool place out of the sun you should be able to do a bit better than that. Not so much money down the drain, but less value for the dollar.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
thx, If this winter is like last year, it will most likely be 6 months of below 40 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.