How inaccurate is pool math when you add borates?

gilbee

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Harvey, LA
From the poolmath site:

Note: pH calculations are not exact. These numbers are only suggestive of the relative magnitude of the pH change you can expect. Small changes, +-0.4, with pH between 7.2-7.8, TA around 80-120, and Borate near zero will be approximately correct. The further you go from those ranges the less these pH changes will correspond to reality.

How inaccurate will the numbers be when you have borates at 50? I'm about to have to add some acid to lower the pH since my borate addition, and I'm assuming it will take more acid to do it, but I am unsure how much more...or is that just for the chemical calculation and the top portion of poolmath is going to be more correct?

Doesn't that warning just apply to the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section? I think it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoolMath has calculations in the upper section (such as how much acid to add to lower pH by the requested amount) that account for Borates if they are in the normal 0 to 50 ppm range. The "Effects of adding chemicals" section does NOT account for borates or anything else -- it uses assumed values of CYA, TA, and Borates for its pH calculations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.