Loud "BANG" coming from equipment area

Jun 11, 2015
Fonthill
Merged by Divin Dave

We have a new pool with Cartridge system and Hayward Gas heater. I can't pinpoint exactly when it happens but when it does, it sounds like someone threw a 2x4 against my pool cabana wall. The install was completed first week of July and the "BANG" didn't happen right away. It began about 2-3 weeks ago...shortly after I pulled the cartridges out to hose them down (It was suggested since I was creating sawdust in the pool area that was blowing into pool). Once finished, I tightened the ring around the filter but noticed a very slow leak (one drop per minute) so didn't worry too much and that has since stopped.

So, I'm not sure if it's the heater or the filter but I assume it happens when the timer kicks the system on. I saw a previous post that suggested cleaning out the burner tubes but the heater is brand new. Anyone familiar with this?

This is second attempt at post... forgive me it the first one posted but I don't see it.

New install (July 2015) and within 2 weeks, I was instructed to clean my cartridges because I was building a cabana (equipment is behind cabana) and sawdust was blowing into water. After cleaning them, I reattached the filter top and tightened the ring to seal it. There was a small drip (1/minute) but I didn't worry about it and it seems to be gone now anyway. That may have nothing to do with my problem but I thought I should mention it.

Soon after, I was working in the cabana and heard a lound "BANG" like someone threw a basketball against the back of the cabana... I went out and saw nothing. Then about a week later, I heard it again. Then two days ago, the neighbors were in their hot tub and said they heard it.

I'm not sure if it happens when the timer kicks the system on. The first time I heard it, it was when the heater kicked on... the second time, I'm not sure and the time the neighbors heard it, I'm also not sure of. So it may be the heater but couldn't be certain. The pool company clerk was stumped and suggested cleaning cartridges again in case they're causing air in system from build up.

Any help on this is appreciated. All equipment is brand new.

Sounds like if it's occurring when the heater is turning on it could be an improper starting sequence when the heater is turning on. It's a gas/propane heater? I would have the installer of the equipment check it out for sure. That could be an explosion hazard waiting to go wrong.

The heater ignition is a good guess, but I'd also look at the way the filter housing is assembled. Could be doing something when it is pressurized.

Re: Loud "BANG" coming from equipment area

Yes, it's gas. I'll probably have to call Hayward to have warranty service done. I was hoping it was a common issue caused by something I was doing wrong (not switching bypass when in standby).

- - - Updated - - -

The heater ignition is a good guess, but I'd also look at the way the filter housing is assembled. Could be doing something when it is pressurized.
I'm actually heading out there in 30 minutes to clean cartridges again and I'll be sure to complete the seal when I close it up. I read on another forum that someone suggested it may be a bad "bypass"... causing water to stay in the unit and boil. The resulting steam has nowhere to go... BOOM.... I just realized, however, that the most recent episode was while the heater was in standby mode.

I have something similar happening to me. I had a new Raypak heater installed in May and some weeks later (at least I didn't notice it until later) it gave me a loud bang about 10 minutes after it's started and then again, but not as loud, a few minutes when it's cooling down. It runs perfectly and I get no codes. The installer came out and told me that it was normal and should stop with time. I asked the same question here and again was told that it's normal. At least in my case, it's due to the metal expanding and contracting with the temperature, or so I'm told. Now that I think of it, I don't recall the banging recently, I'll keep an ear out for it. I'm no expert and I don't know if this is what is happening with your equipment, but thought I'd share my experience.

Here's a silly thing: check that your flow isn't low into the heater. If you knocked it just a little doing the filter, maybe it's getting insufficient flow. Had the exact same thing. Turned the valve to open further and no more bang.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.