May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Those of you with AGP and solid ice freezing in the winter:
This is the first year we will have hard plumbed water lines going into the winter. We have hard freezes and the AGP becomes on solid block of ice. In the past, we have disconnected the hoses on the skimmer and inlet and left them open in case overflow water needed to drain. We do not remove the skimmer from the wall but do make sure it is covered by the winter cover.
How do you handle the hard plumbing lines when the water freezes solid? Do you disconnect the lines at the wall skimmer, and inlet, and leave them open/detached during the winter? We will be using a mesh cover this fall, so water might get in it. My husband and I are not in agreement but we want to make sure water getting in the skimmer will not freeze, expand, and crack the skimmer.
What have you all done?

Thanks Texas Splash. Been gone the last few days and now been reading a lot on the extended discussion, but it pertains to IGP. Seems there is still things I can use in our AGP closing.

I leave my hard plumbed lines attached at the skimmer and return. I remove my filter and store it inside. This leave the suction and return open where the filter used to be - that is the low point so any water that would get in the lines will drain (I leave the valves open). I made covers out of 1/4" hardware cloth (like chicken wire, but smaller square holes) that I zip tie over the ends of the pipes, so nothing gets the idea to build a nest up in there over the winter.

I plug my return at the pool wall on the inside using a rubber plug. I use a plate on my skimmer. Any rain or snow that gets into the skimmer body drains out through the open end of the suction line.

I do get freezing temps here. Once the pool froze deep enough to have the wing nut on the return plug encased in ice, When the ice shifted, it pulled the plug out. My pool drained down to the return, through the hard plumed return line. Nothing froze or cracked, just got the yard a bit wet.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.