Trusting pool store water test results?

Jul 22, 2015
Connecticut
We have been using the Taylor K-2006 Test kit with FAS-DPD since opening the pool a month ago. I test the chlorine almost daily (either with the FAS-DPD or Aqua Chek Yellow Strips w/FC ) and sometimes I drop a water sample off at the local pool store. I've been comparing the results from the pool store and they match the K-2006 test results almost perfectly (for PH, TA, CYA, FE, CC, etc). While I never purchase the long list of products the pool store recommends (stick with BBB and the online pool calculator) I appreciate not using up the supply of testing chemicals in my Taylor K-2006 (plus I get a fancy color printout that makes me very proud).
For some tests like CYA there are only enough chemicals in the Taylor kit for a few tests and I'm quickly going through my FAS-DPD.
So is there anything wrong with relying on the Pool store tests? Are some pool store tests indeed accurate and trustworthy. Will the pool store staff expect me to start purchasing "pool additives" at some point or are they OK with people using their testing services (free loading). Is it customary to tip the pool store staff person? This is all new to me.

If you had to rely on the Pool Store tests I was getting and going with their recommendations you would not be very happy with your pool....that is why I now do my own testing.

Do they expect you to buy something? why do you think they offer the free water check? One of the Pool Stores has a sign posted above the water test counter, noting although this is a 'free' service they have to pay their employees, pay rent, utilities etc and they would appreciate you purchasing your pool supplies from them.

Stick with your own results as you have a test kit that will give accurate results without going to the store and hope they give you accurate results.

When you need to reorder testing reagents make sure you get the larger sized refills so you wont need to reorder so often. This is the main reason why the TF-100 is the test kit that I prefer over the K-2006 as the amount of reagents will last longer in the TF-100 kit.

You can order all replacement reagents from TFTestkits.net and get the larger sized options. Almost all of the TF-100 reagents are compatible with the K-2006 reagents. If they have the same reagent number then they are the exact same Taylor reagent.

Your case is a little unusual, as most aren't so good. It's honestly cheaper (unless you get free Gasoline :) ) But honestly using your own results, that kit will never let you down, so why bother?

The biggest problem with pool store tests, is not that they are crooks, it's that they are sloppy. And then you have to put up with them trying to sell you overpriced junk you don't need.

I'm not ashamed to admit I buy my CYA and odd ball navigator parts from them, and yes, I could save money by buying on line. But employees have mouths to feed at home too.

Stick with your own results as you have a test kit that will give accurate results without going to the store and hope they give you accurate results.

When you need to reorder testing reagents make sure you get the larger sized refills so you wont need to reorder so often. This is the main reason why the TF-100 is the test kit that I prefer over the K-2006 as the amount of reagents will last longer in the TF-100 kit.

You can order all replacement reagents from TFTestkits.net and get the larger sized options. Almost all of the TF-100 reagents are compatible with the K-2006 reagents. If they have the same reagent number then they are the exact same Taylor reagent.
Can I just order the TF-100 "refill" for $39 instead of the whole TF-100 kit ($69) if I currently have the K-2006? Is that a way to save a few dollars on the testing?

Can I just order the TF-100 "refill" for $39 instead of the whole TF-100 kit ($69) if I currently have the K-2006? Is that a way to save a few dollars on the testing?
The reagents are the same chemicals with the same numerical ID, although the containers and sizes may differ. So the answer is yes. The reagents supplied as a refill for the TF-100 should be enough to easily last a year (unless you have a huge algae bloom)..

The phenol red reagent for testing pH is different for the two tests. The comparator block is not the same for both test kits.

If you know you need some reagents and not others you might be best off by selecting only the reagents you need as your swim season is nearing an end soon.

As I see it your pool store may be one of the rare ones that are careful about their testing and use a quality testing system, but you never know when that may change if you don't carefully do your own testing. Perhaps the good quality results at the pool store are thanks to a college Chemistry student that is home for the summer, but will be leaving to go back to school next week, ..... Then of course is the expectation that you will buy from them....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
as you are confident the person doing your tests seems accurate
buy some muriatic acid and liquid chlorine from them occasionally
just tell them" i have still got some magic potion number 9 at home from last time, and will add it when i get home"
The same young person is always working the desk. The pool store is on my way to work. I'm always buying more chlorine at Walmart anyway so I will see what they have. The pool came with a SWG that I never hooked up (intimidating) and saving that for another thread.
The neighborhood has really been enjoying the pool and this web site has made my job so much easier. And yes, the pool season will be over before you know here in New England. (the good news is that now we have a nice level spot for an ice rink ).

The biggest problem with pool store tests, is not that they are crooks, it's that they are sloppy. And then you have to put up with them trying to sell you overpriced junk you don't need.

I'm not ashamed to admit I buy my CYA and odd ball navigator parts from them, and yes, I could save money by buying on line. But employees have mouths to feed at home too.

+1 I buy thing like liquid stabilizer, muritatic, and reagent refills from them to help support the local economy. I just don't listen to their advice anymore because their testing and focus were both off.

Yeah...but it isn't just pool stores. In my opinion (worth as much as you paid for it...lol) It really is no different in a pool store than your local mattress store or best buy or anything else. All of those places essentially become buyer beware-especially for someone walking in blind.

For the convenience of having a good easy source of most of what I need on a Saturday afternoon within 4 miles on a year round basis, I'm willing to support the local economy. There are some things they don't sell, like the half pound bottle of chlorine testing or the big reagent bottles for FAS-DPD (too tired to remember the numbers (g)). For that there's the Internet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.