Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We just bought our 1st house which includes a beautiful 30k gal gunite pool. I have the original pool contract which shows the pool was installed in 1993 by Anthony & Sylvan. The pool appears in perfectly fine shape, but I'm wondering how long we have left before needing to replace or heavily overhaul? As I've googled a bit, I'm seeing things saying we'll need to replaster every 5-6 yrs at $5-6k each time or that the pool only has a life of about 10-15 yrs. Is that true? The previous owners supplied pretty extensive records of changes & improvements to the house, and I don't see anything about major work being done to the pool beyond equipment replacement (new heater, filter & polaris within the last 10 yrs). Is it possible that the pool's never been replaster and if so is that a problem? Having the original contract, what sort of details should I look for to get a better idea? We're pool newbies!

what finish do you have on your pool? if its painted plaster, then yes the paint doesn't last long. if you have a pebbletec type finish it will last a very long time. the pool has a much longer lifespan than 10-15 years, that's crazy! its just concrete, no reason it shouldn't last your 50 years if you take care of it. the finish may need replacement, but if its in good shape...well then it doesn't :) no need to repair things that aren't broken.

the most important part of maintaining your pool is the water, are you going to be following the TFP methods? do you have one of the recommended test kits??

I *think* it's got some sort of pebble finish. It feels & looks like it, and I believe our pool inspector mentioned something about it, but when I look at the contract it mentions "Antho-Magic" finish (in Onyx), and I can't find any other details that seem like they may have to do with the finish. So far our chemistry has been good. We test a few times/wk with strips and take a sample to our local pool store weekly. We had a bout of cloudy water unrelated to chemistry (levels were perfect), and it didn't clear with Bioguard POol Tonic referred by the pool store. We were going to flocc the pool, but by the time we found all the gear (we have a polaris so don't typically manually vacuum) AND the time, it cleared up on its own (about 10 days, maybe 2 wks max). Chemical levels were fine that entire time.

I'm happy to hear that it's not a forgone conclusion that we'll need to redo the pool in the very near future. As you can appreciate, having just bought a house we'll be a little strapped for cash for a bit;)

Oh - I'm once my kids are down for their nap this afternoon, I'm going to dig into the Beginner section of the site!!

Welcome to TFP.

We have our own methods which are firmly based on good scientific principals. Much of what you may have learned elsewhere may be incompatible or completely at odds with what is practiced here. No expensive mystery chemicals or magic potions from the pool store. If you choose to use TFP methods, you will always know exactly what you are putting in your pool and why. Most of your pool supplies can be purchased at the local grocery or hardware store. We find that staying away from a pool store is a good thing.

First you will need a really good test kit to know what is really going on in your pool. Pool Store testing is inconsistent and worth exactly what they charge (nothing). Strips are completely useless. There are only two kits that work for this, and the best is the TF-100. If you don't have one of the two acceptable kits, you need to order one. (SpeedStir is a neat and very useful addition, while you are ordering)

While waiting for your new kit, you can spend your time reading, re reading, and studying our "Pool School". It the button at the upper right of this page. It will look intimidating and a bit overwhelming at first, but with a bit of study it will all fit together and begin to make sense. You also need to have a look at PoolMath, (also a button at the top of this page). It will serve as your guide as to how much of what you need to add to your pool.

The purpose of this web site is to make pool care easy, and pool ownership the joy it should be. There are many, many pool owners here who will happily testify to the fact that it works.

Welcome to the work of Trouble Free Pools.

I *think* it's got some sort of pebble finish. It feels & looks like it, and I believe our pool inspector mentioned something about it, but when I look at the contract it mentions "Antho-Magic" finish (in Onyx), and I can't find any other details that seem like they may have to do with the finish. So far our chemistry has been good. We test a few times/wk with strips and take a sample to our local pool store weekly. We had a bout of cloudy water unrelated to chemistry (levels were perfect), and it didn't clear with Bioguard POol Tonic referred by the pool store. We were going to flocc the pool, but by the time we found all the gear (we have a polaris so don't typically manually vacuum) AND the time, it cleared up on its own (about 10 days, maybe 2 wks max). Chemical levels were fine that entire time.

I'm happy to hear that it's not a forgone conclusion that we'll need to redo the pool in the very near future. As you can appreciate, having just bought a house we'll be a little strapped for cash for a bit;)

pool tonic, biogard, floc....ouch, im cringing. that is a lot of $$$ being flushed down the drain. if you really want to take control of your pool, I would go with our methods. the difference between us and the pool store? well, our advice is based on precise testing of your pool water and only recommending what is needed to keep it crystal clear. that is usually good old cheap bleach/chlorine. the pool stores methods? well these are based on old pool myths, incorrect testing, part-time summer help, and maximizing sales/profits.

the only thing we ask is to buy one of the recommended pool test kits (see my link). after that initial investment the chemicals we use are all cheaply purchased at the grocery store and/or big box stores. no more pool stores!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.