Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: O-ring lubricant??

1. Back To Top    #1

O-ring lubricant??

Any recommendations?
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: O-ring lubricant??

Magic Lube (teflon) and Magic Lube II (silicone). They are made for pool/spa use and most pool supplies carry them or you can get them online from several sources. There is also a Magic Lube with Kevlar fibers to help stop small leaks from old O rings until you can get them replaced.

3. Back To Top    #3

Personal opinion, I'd go with the Magic Lube II . I've used the Magic Lube with the teflon in it the past two seasons, and it gummed up my O rings pretty badly. The stuff doesn't want to wipe off all that easily, either. I'll be using the silicone version this year to lube up everything.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

The silicone version is just as gunky!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with mike. Once the teflon version hits water it turns to a white, sticky goo that's more of a mess than the silicone which spreads more easily and doesn't get all goopy. I keep both, but I usually only use the teflon as a lubricant for already-taped threaded fittings or as an emergency back-up to the silly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey all and especially Tim, in this post I mentioned the silicon lube weakening/ softening my fingernails - any input?

Also, for those who go to pool stores that only carry Hayward products - which kind is Jack's 357?

Thanks dudes
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't had any problems with that that I've noticed, but I have pretty thin flexible fingernails to begin with. When they grow out at all I can bend them backward without any discomfort. TMI?

8. Back To Top    #8

Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Found a tube of Multi-purpose Lubricant-sealant w/ PTFE. Is this a good one to use?
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbrks
    Found a tube of Multi-purpose Lubricant-sealant w/ PTFE. Is this a good one to use?
    Is it designed for pool use? The ones we were discussing are.

11. Back To Top    #11

The sales person at the pool supply store recommended it.