How do people go years with no problems using pucks?

They go years with no trouble through lots of chemicals and strange collections of advice, then hit a wall and can't fix it. They finally drain and refill and start the process over.

That's where the regular commercial advice has clearly left the pool that came with the house I bought in January. I've had algae twice since, and hate it. A pool guy coming once a week didn't slow it down, and he says there's nothing that can be done until we can refill. Once, during one of the algae-kills, I added enough powdered "shock" to the pool to get the water REALLY CLEAR, and now I know what I'm missing.

Record-breaking California drought makes me unhappy to refill, and the city says a full refill is illegal.

People get rid of pools or say they're too much trouble, that's what happens!

Because I found this site, my test kit is coming, and I've found a good local source for chlorine. I've also found a guy who has a truck mounted reverse osmosis system who can clean the water I already have. That's what this site does.

They go years with no trouble through lots of chemicals and strange collections of advice, then hit a wall and can't fix it. They finally drain and refill and start the process over.

That's where the regular commercial advice has clearly left the pool that came with the house I bought in January. I've had algae twice since, and hate it. A pool guy coming once a week didn't slow it down, and he says there's nothing that can be done until we can refill. Once, during one of the algae-kills, I added enough powdered "shock" to the pool to get the water REALLY CLEAR, and now I know what I'm missing.

Record-breaking California drought makes me unhappy to refill, and the city says a full refill is illegal.

People get rid of pools or say they're too much trouble, that's what happens!

Because I found this site, my test kit is coming, and I've found a good local source for chlorine. I've also found a guy who has a truck mounted reverse osmosis system who can clean the water I already have. That's what this site does.

A couple of items that stand out:

1) Your pool guy coming once a week did not slow it down. (This probably made it worse). Once you receive your kit, you will be the "Pool Guy". My children write down on the Solo Cup with a sharpie "Pool Guy" and other side "Pool Boy". Because at this point everyone who comes to this home understands that I mean business and you are swimming in one of the cleanest pools you have been in for the last 10 years.

2) Without the TF-100 (or other recommend kits), you may want to wait on the reverse osmosis procedure. Please test your water, post up your results, etc. and everyone will help. You may wish to have your water tested for metals by a pool store and only this type of test. You will do the others. Always keep track of your progress.

3) Unless there is some reason, I do not see why you would need to completely drain and fill your pool. (Allow the real experts to chime in on this one). The SLAM process is all about testing and maintaining Shock Level until you pass all 3 Tests. You will start this process once your kit arrives. I am suggesting you use a 5 ml. sample to save on the reagents in the first few days, then go to 10 ml. and finally for the overnight possibly use the 25 ml. sample. All depends on how long this process takes. Please remember that this SLAM process could take up to 2 weeks, if not longer and hopefully shorter. This year, at my friends home it took 2 weeks from Green to clear as he had a mesh cover through the winter. With a low CYA of 30, it only took a few gallons of 12.5% per day. After the first day, we were only testing daily.

4) Pools are not trouble if you understand your pool. Pool Store employees do not understand your pool and usually do not make a career out their current job. Once you get the hang of taking care of a pool, you will never look back. Always remember to keep a "Timeline" as this will help you clear up any issues you may encounter.

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED! :D

How does it work for years? Some of it is usage.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say everyone here uses their pool 4-5 times/week? Heavy usage for parties, BBQ, etc., 3-5 times/summer?

That uses of chlorine, which everyone here replaces with new chlorine. The people that go YEARS with pucks and no problems are usually the light users. The new SWG replacing the "pucks" for continuous chlorination is a huge improvement.

How does it work for years? Some of it is usage.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say everyone here uses their pool 4-5 times/week? Heavy usage for parties, BBQ, etc., 3-5 times/summer?

That uses of chlorine, which everyone here replaces with new chlorine. The people that go YEARS with pucks and no problems are usually the light users. The new SWG replacing the "pucks" for continuous chlorination is a huge improvement.
I venture to guess it is the other way around. Heavy pool use brings with it splash out, and the heavily stabilized water is replaced with unstabilized water.

I venture to guess it is the other way around. Heavy pool use brings with it splash out, and the heavily stabilized water is replaced with unstabilized water.

If I was one of the contestants on one of these shows and this question was asked, my reply would be as follows:

"People have a tendency to shock the pool weekly, add other maintenance products, as often as they feel it is necessary, based on a maintenance schedule from the Pool Store. Therefore, a few bags of shock will bring your FC level very high and eventually as it slowly comes down, they shock again, repeating the never ending cycle. It keeps the FC high enough based on the CYA, therefore stalling the inevitable. I always hear "you don't shock your pool?", almost from every person I speak to"

My personal feelings are that it is not the light users, or the replacement of water, etc., but more in line with all the "unnecessary chemicals" that people put in their pools, which include algaecides, shock treatments, clarifiers, etc. They are just merely masking the lurking problems behind the "Cesspool" they own and maintain.

From the time the last child outgrew the pool until grandchildren started using it, my parents pool was BARELY used, a few times a year, tops. Pucks + Weekly Shock + Extended Control Algaecide 4x/year worked well enough. Pool wasn't crystal clear, but it wasn't green. My Brother bought a house when he was childless, and similar regiment worked just fine.

Same protocol at my house (kids, LOTS of guests, beer, cocktails and soda falling into pool): green pool.

Pretty sure if you have a decorative pool, you can maintain it a little less painfully. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.