New Intelliflo installed - SWG now won't turn off

Dec 25, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hi Everyone,

I just completed my first DIY pump install today in which I replaced my Wisperflo with our new Intellflo. Everything went well and we seemed to be up and running. Tonight, I went outside to check on everything and make sure the pump was turning off as scheduled - it did. However, during my check I noticed that our SWG was staying on even though the pump was off. I assume this is due to the fact that previously, with my Wisperflo, we were using the intermatic timers with the doggie ears which cycled the power on and off (for the pump and SWG). However, with the new Intelliflo, I can control the power/schedule from the pump itself and bypass the timers, or effectively leave the timer in the 'on' position at all times.

However, I didn't anticipate this issue with the SWG now staying on. What should I do? Does this create an issue (I assume you don't want the SWG 'on' all the time)?

Please help. Thank you.

Congrats on the new pump! I love mine. The flow switch will turn off the cell when there is no water flow. Some people are OK with this and some are not. What I did is wire the pump to the hot side of the time clock so it is powered all the time. I left the IC40 wired on the timer and use the timer to turn the SWG on and off when I want. Controlling on time and percentage lets me easily dial in the chlorine level. I am running 8 hours at 60% right now.

Pump usually runs at 1100 rpm either 12 hours or 24 hours because we need nearly continuous skimming because we have lots of trees. Only uses 150 watts and does a great job keeping leaves in the skimmer and off the bottom.

Mine is on all the time and it looks as though Pentair designed it this way since everything I have is Pentair. The lights blink at night and I never thought about it, it's been this way for the last three years, seems to be just fine this way. I've had very good luck with the pump, so quiet.

I had the same scenario. What I did was pigtail the SWG power off the pump power to the timer, and put the SWG on the timer so I can set up the SWG to come on and off whenever I wanted, regardless of the pump run time. It works great and gives me maximum flexibility on pump run time without having to fool around with SWG output in order to maintain my correct FC.

WIth the timer turning off the SWG, it will also extend my SWG lifespan.

I had the same scenario. What I did was pigtail the SWG power off the pump power to the timer, and put the SWG on the timer so I can set up the SWG to come on and off whenever I wanted, regardless of the pump run time. It works great and gives me maximum flexibility on pump run time without having to fool around with SWG output in order to maintain my correct FC.

WIth the timer turning off the SWG, it will also extend my SWG lifespan.

Thanks @Divin Dave -- how hard would this be to do?

When I did mine I had the same issue. I just want back to the timer and moved the pump power supply to the hot side of the timer and the SWG power to the switched side. Now the old intermatic timer controls the SWG, and the pump supply is always powered on.

If the SWG is run without water flow an explosion can occur. The flow switch on a SWG is there only as a safety device. It shouldn't be used as the primary switching. Now my timer turns the SWG on during hours that I know the pump will be running. Should the two timers ever get out of sync and the SWG come on at the wrong time, that's what the flow switch is designed for. So now it takes two failures for the dangerous condition to occur. Much safer that way.

Suspenders and a belt. Better to be safe when the potential outcome is an explosion.

MY VS pump and SWG are hooked up to same timer. When pump is on so is SWG. I would not rely on the flow switch as normal on off control for the SWG. Some people use 2 seperate timers. Just like stated above. I dont have the situation that requires a lot of extra filtering that is needed. I run 8 hours a day @ 1200 RPM and 40-50% output most of the time. Each situation is different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.