LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm trying to narrow down my choice, but it's really difficult. I've never had one of these in the five years I've had a pool, but I think it's time. I'm leaning toward a Dolphin Z5 at this time, but I have some questions. I can get the z5 right now for $1124.99 including shipping from epic. This has the 3 year warranty. I can also get an M5 from a local store for $1399.99, plus tax and they can service the unit.

**Important... I've read (and the pool store owner stated) that the z5 will hang up on the main drains. Is this an issue?

I'm also wondering if I even need to spend that much. It seems there are cheaper units that are out there that are less than $700 that many people are happy with. I've also read that the aquabots are more friendly to the DIYer if there are issues. Finally...I've heard that Dolphin's customer service is not good, so the only reason I'd consider spending the money may just end up buying me headaches.

So, I know this comes up a lot and I have tried to do some research, but it just seems like the more I look, the more I don't really know. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My pool is a grecian inground liner pool with about 19000 gallons and a constant 4' depth. I'm really looking to reduce my vacuuming time so the pool is cleaner. I don't mind spending more money, but if these things only last 3 years... why not buy a cheaper unit?

Thanks.

As a general rule of thumb about cleaners. The more they cost, there more bells and whistles there are.
If you like bells and whisteles, like remote control and weekly timers and such things, then the Z5 is a great cleaner.

If you dont mind walking to the power unit and pushing the ON button and dont care about remote control, then the less expensive ones will do a good job for you too.

Im at about the end of year 2 with my Dolphin Nautilus. Im happy with the little guy. No problems what so ever with it.

Dave, just wondering if there are timers one could plug into the outlet that are good for more than 24 hours, say one week timers. Guess google is my friend right ?

Woods 7 Day Digital Outdoor Heavy Duty Timer 2-Outlet - Black-50015 - The Home Depot

a4df646f-d8cf-4bda-86fa-b02e30db72ce_400.jpg

Question though, how often do you need to run it, and do you leave it sitting in the water the whole time in between ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.