May buy a house in Central Florida with a vinyl pool, possible major issues!

funyun

Aug 16, 2015
Space Coast, FL
Need your insight, please!

We have contracted to purchase a home in Brevard County, a bit inland and in Flood zone X. We are just entering the inspection period, and one of the major items we expect to have to negotiate repairs on is the pool.

We have never owned a pool and don't know anything about them, but we do absolutely want one - we wouldn't buy this house without it.

Here's what we know:
- Installed ~1989.
- Pool is about 10 feet from the back of the house, ~30,000 gallons, in ground, vinyl, and chlorine.
- The pool is full, blue, and appears to be actively used.
- We can see that the pool liner needs replacing - it has pulled away from the top in multiple places, there are holes in the steps, and it's faded and worn.
- The sellers' disclosure states the pool liner was replaced in 2009 when they purchased the house as a foreclosure.
- The permit to replace the pool liner in 2009 did not pass inspection - the inspector's comments (available in public records) state the supposedly brand new liner is already pulling away from the sides. No follow up inspections are recorded.
- The contractor that replaced the pool liner is out of business. :)
- The decking around the pool appears to be shifting a bit and sloping slightly down away from the pool on all sides, including toward the house.
- The pool heater is inoperable, though there is power to it.

What's the worst case scenario and the best case? Some people have said that vinyl pools really don't belong in ground with a high water table. We don't want to be purchasing an expensive long-term headache that could also compromise the foundation of the house. Is it less expensive in a situation with a vinyl pool failure to just tear out the vinyl and install concrete/gunite in the hole?

Please let me know if I should move or xpost this to a different sub-forum. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You need a hands on pool guy. Stabbing guesses at a pool we cannot see is just too risky.

Lot's of pool inspection places and you need a face-to-face talk with somebody who can make local suggestions.

Why don't you think that vinyl liner is ALREADY over a gunite shell?

My ignorance is showing... :) A pool service company owner I called today told me he doesn't service vinyl pools and that they are supported only by rocks and dirt. I suppose it is possible that it's vinyl lining concrete.

So, perhaps I should phrase this as - what questions would you ask were you faced with owning a pool that needed a new vinyl liner 6+ years ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.