TN
FC-1
CC-0
CH-150
TA-60
CYA-80
PH-7.2
Salt-3400

Water has a hint of cloudy, been fighting FC level for a month. It has been hot and sunny but SWG doesn't seem to be keeping up. I raise it with bleach to 4-5 and it doesn't hold. I have just added 6 gal of 8.25 this morning as we are having a birthday party this afternoon for some kiddos. Just can't figure out why FC is leaving and SWG can't maintain the level.

Gonna do an overnight test tonight and see if I'm losing FC. Hopefully not.

Any ideas on what to do????

Your FC is way too low. It needs to stay around 6 ppm with the filter running, and it being brushed often, this should help clear the cloudiness. Have you tried covering it through the day to help hold the FC level?

FC-1
CC-0
CH-150
TA-60
CYA-80
PH-7.2
Salt-3400

Water has a hint of cloudy, been fighting FC level for a month. It has been hot and sunny but SWG doesn't seem to be keeping up. I raise it with bleach to 4-5 and it doesn't hold. I have just added 6 gal of 8.25 this morning as we are having a birthday party this afternoon for some kiddos. Just can't figure out why FC is leaving and SWG can't maintain the level.

Gonna do an overnight test tonight and see if I'm losing FC. Hopefully not.

Any ideas on what to do????
If your FC has been going below your min you may have an algae bloom starting. Your OCLT will tell more.

Seeing that your CYA is 80 I would get that pool to 10-12ppm an hour or so before the party (your 6 gallons would have added 12ppm). Do the same after & for your OCLT get it up to 15ppm or so.

Dom

All you other levels look really good. For comfort you might want to raise the pH slightly to about 7.4 ppm.

There's not anything number wise that I see on there that should be eating up the chlorine like that, unless the cloudiness, and FC loss is being caused by an early algae bloom which is very possible considering the low FC levels, and high sun exposure. SO you might want to try to Slam it for a few days till it passes OCLT and see if that remedies both problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Dom were must have been typing basically the same thing at the exact same time so lol 2nd what What DOM Said. ^^^^

Yeah as I said I've been fighting that FC for a month. Try to keep it up from 3-5 while running but it just won't stay. I wonder about SWG but can find the amp test for it. I can't cover it as I only have a leakproof cover for wi resizing and I'm not about to fight that daily.

LOL cracking up at Richard's video ^^^^^^^ hahahahahaha. :laughblue:

Yeah if 3-5ppm isn't doing the trick double that to 10-12ppm for a few days, as Dom mentioned.

You have to add and maintain the higher FC at the higher level to try to kill off what's in there already, and then also stay ahead of the game to ensure it's dead, and also prevent the FC numbers from dropping too low allowing more to grow.

According to the Chlorine/CYA chart your actually Shock number for your 80 CYA is actually 31ppm, so if doubling the Min/Target # which is 4-6ppm, up to 10-12ppm doesn't stop the problem, you might have to hit it even harder, and run your FC levels closer to your shock/slam range of 31ppm, or somewhere in between. It seems like some of the algae just wants to hang on and keep growing in there so you have to fight it a little harder to get rid of it.

Also I imagine you have already done this, but I'll ask anyway, just in case you haven't. Have you brushed the entire pool, and checked under your ladder, stairs, lights, skimmer, returns, etc. to see if you can find where it's hiding?
Keeping things good, and stirred up in there helps the chlorine be able to locate the culprit quicker. The quicker it's found the quicker it can be killed off. Running the higher levels off chlorine is just that many more little algae warriors who are in there searching the area. Have a wonderful day and we'll do our best to help you find the culprit and get it killed out once and for all.

If you are unsure about the SWG doing it's job, which I can't help you on the amp stuff (hopefully someone else who knows about SWGs will come along to help you on that part). I don't have one, but you might want to shut the SWG down, and do manual adds to see if that changes anything? Hopefully we can get your pool's numbers holding soon to ensure it's nice and clean in there. Have a nice night.

LOL cracking up at Richard's video ^^^^^^^ hahahahahaha. :laughblue:

Yeah if 3-5ppm isn't doing the trick double that to 10-12ppm for a few days, as Dom mentioned.

You have to add and maintain the higher FC at the higher level to try to kill off what's in there already, and then also stay ahead of the game to ensure it's dead, and also prevent the FC numbers from dropping too low allowing more to grow.

According to the Chlorine/CYA chart your actually Shock number for your 80 CYA is actually 31ppm, so if doubling the Min/Target # which is 4-6ppm, up to 10-12ppm doesn't stop the problem, you might have to hit it even harder, and run your FC levels closer to your shock/slam range of 31ppm, or somewhere in between. It seems like some of the algae just wants to hang on and keep growing in there so you have to fight it a little harder to get rid of it.

Also I imagine you have already done this, but I'll ask anyway, just in case you haven't. Have you brushed the entire pool, and checked under your ladder, stairs, lights, skimmer, returns, etc. to see if you can find where it's hiding?
Keeping things good, and stirred up in there helps the chlorine be able to locate the culprit quicker. The quicker it's found the quicker it can be killed off. Running the higher levels off chlorine is just that many more little algae warriors who are in there searching the area. Have a wonderful day and we'll do our best to help you find the culprit and get it killed out once and for all.

If you are unsure about the SWG doing it's job, which I can't help you on the amp stuff (hopefully someone else who knows about SWGs will come along to help you on that part). I don't have one, but you might want to shut the SWG down, and do manual adds to see if that changes anything? Hopefully we can get your pool's numbers holding soon to ensure it's nice and clean in there. Have a nice night.

I'm puttin in enough now to get the FC up to 12-15 and will check it in the morning. Haven't had this problem in the 3 years I've had the pool. Hopefully I can nip it nip it nip it in the bud.

Put bleach in last night and waited about 1.5 hours and tested FC to be 13.5. This morning after I disconnected the SWG and pump ran all night I tested the FC to be 14. The water is clear again.

Question is while I gave the FC up there should I just keep it there for a few days with bleach just to see if it helps? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Put bleach in last night and waited about 1.5 hours and tested FC to be 13.5. This morning after I disconnected the SWG and pump ran all night I tested the FC to be 14. The water is clear again.

Question is while I gave the FC up there should I just keep it there for a few days with bleach just to see if it helps? Or is there something else I should be doing?
I assume you were running the SWG when you did this test overnight? You need to keep the FC level up and do the overnight test again with the SWG turned off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume you were running the SWG when you did this test overnight? You need to keep the FC level up and do the overnight test again with the SWG turned off.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I disconnected the SWG last night before I added the bleach to bring the FC up. So it was disconnected all night. The pump also ran all night.

Ideas, suggestions?

The overcast will just help the FC levels hold better for today, so you shouldn't have to add as much chlorine. If the sun was shining bright, you would have to add more today, to compensate for what the sun is burning up. But it being overcast shouldn't effect the testing, but will only help the chlorine depletion.

If you are again unsure of the OCLT results in the AM, keep levels up, and check it again the next morning, etc. You want to ensure you clear out anything that is lurking in there, or as your numbers drop you'll start getting "ugly brownish/white dead algae fuzzies" LOL that's my term, on the bottom of your pool, or worse you'll get a full blown algae bloom, and you'll have to just jack the numbers up again to get rid of them.

Its better to kill it out the 1st go around then have to repeat it again in the near future.

Good luck. I hope you pass OCLT with flying colors. Keep us posted, and have a wonderful day. :)

Went home at lunch and FC was 9.5. I guess I will be making a run to the store to get more bleach. How far should I take my FC up and maintain for how long. I know the pool school says 31 for cya of 80 but other have mentioned getting up to 15-20 for several days and it should work.

Funny thing is my water is as clear as it can be right now.

You SLAM it for as long as it takes, sometimes overnight, sometimes days, sometimes more. Personally, since you're having an issue, I would hit it at the recommended 31ppm and hold it there until you pass OCLT. Since you are so close already, just check for passing OCLT every morning.

The thing is, You have to get the FC level up high enough, and keep it up long enough to be able to kill off the algae and prevent any new growth in the process because as of right now pool conditions are right for an algae bloom, and the non holding FC levels in your case is telling us that.

As far as the FC level dropping today, during the day, don't worry about that just bump it on back up to your SLam level.

The FC WILL drop during the day more because of the sun, just less because of the overcast, yet you could still pass OCLT tonight (when there is no sun to contend with), so don't write passing OCLT off for tonight just yet.

Just Test it before bedtime, bump up to SLAM/SHOCK level of 31pp, and then test it again in the morning before the sun starts hitting the pool to see if you passed OCLT or not. See if your FC has dropped less than 1 FC overnight, Plus if your CC is .5 or less. Since your water is clear, you are passing that 1, so work to pass the other 2 as well.

The clear appearance of the water can fool you, and make you jump the gun thinking things aren't in there when they actually are.

Just because the pool is Clear does NOT mean that it is Clean. That's why OCLT is done, you can see when it is CLEAR, but passing the other 2 things on OCLT tells you if it is also CLEAN.

I passed the 2 overnight parts 1st on my pool, and still had a cloudy pool, but your pool is just the opposite which is actually more deceiving to see it clear because you automatically see clear and think clean when that's not always the case.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress, and have a nice night.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry and with the FC drop during the day, you can add MORE chlorine and raise it an extra number or 2 say up to 32 or 33 when you are unable to check it frequently so it never drops below the selected level you are keeping it at.

Most likely it was passed, but if you want to run the high levels one more day, and retest in the morning to be certain, you can never go wrong with that choice. It's always better to be sure before letting those levels drop because if the algae isn't completely killed out, just as soon as the FC #s drops you will know it, and then you'll just have to bump the numbers right back up again. The choice is yours but if it were me I'd run it one more day just to be sure. Also what was your CC level this morning? I hope this helps.

Is the water crystal clear? Can you read heads or tails? If not, then hold the chlorine up a while longer. Also, check behind lights, under ladders and other places algae likes to hide. Scrub out any sliminess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.