Numbers ok but water has a hint of cloudiness

Hello gobbler,

I'm so sorry. I can certainly read the frustration in your words, and can complete sympathize with you on it taking some time to clean the algae from your pool. Unfortunately, it takes as long as it takes as no 2 SLAMs are the same.

You are doing everything you can on your part to complete the SLAM, so just keep up the great job. Ensure you are maintaining your chlorine at, or slightly above Shock level for your CYA at all times, brush the pool once or twice a day paying particular attention to lights, steps, ladders, returns, skimmer, and the areas where the walls and the floor meet, and vacuum frequently.

If you haven't already, removed your ladder/steps out of the pool if possible, and give them a good bleach scrubbing. You also might need to check inside any light fixtures, return fixtures, etc. to ensure there isn't some algae hiding there slowing down your process.

I hope this helps. You ARE doing an excellent job, and I'm so sorry the algae is being so stubborn for you. You will get this SLAM done, I promise. Have a wonderful day :)

Hello gobbler,

I'm so sorry. I can certainly read the frustration in your words, and can complete sympathize with you on it taking some time to clean the algae from your pool. Unfortunately, it takes as long as it takes as no 2 SLAMs are the same.

You are doing everything you can on your part to complete the SLAM, so just keep up the great job. Ensure you are maintaining your chlorine at, or slightly above Shock level for your CYA at all times, brush the pool once or twice a day paying particular attention to lights, steps, ladders, returns, skimmer, and the areas where the walls and the floor meet, and vacuum frequently.

If you haven't already, removed your ladder/steps out of the pool if possible, and give them a good bleach scrubbing. You also might need to check inside any light fixtures, return fixtures, etc. to ensure there isn't some algae hiding there slowing down your process.

I hope this helps. You ARE doing an excellent job, and I'm so sorry the algae is being so stubborn for you. You will get this SLAM done, I promise. Have a wonderful day :)

With crystal clear water and no CC it is just hard to believe that I have an algae bloom more especially one that is stubborn. i order more 871 today and guess I will keep buying bleach until the store owners call the law on me. Lol

LOL on the PS calling the law for the massive amount of bleach you're buying. LOL just smile, and say, "Nope, I ain't up to nothing illegal."

What level are you maintaining, and how much loss are you still seeing?

Please continue to post the daily levels, and losses on here too, if you don't mind, so we can hopefully better assist you in getting this issue resolved.

You are doing great. Have a wonderful day :).

If that's the case I think I see where your issue is at. Your Shock level is 31ppm for your 80 CYA so Anytime that level drops below that 31ppm level you are not high enough to kill the algae, and can backslide.

It appears you are having a 3-5ppm drop still. Try raising your Target FC level up to 34-35ppm, and never allow it to drop below 31ppm at any time, so it can be high enough to do its job properly at all times. Hopefully that will help speed up your process significantly so you can Get Er Done :) I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night. :)

If that's the case I think I see where your issue is at. Your Shock level is 31ppm for your 80 CYA so Anytime that level drops below that 31ppm level you are not high enough to kill the algae, and can backslide.

It appears you are having a 3-5ppm drop still. Try raising your Target FC level up to 34-35ppm, and never allow it to drop below 31ppm at any time, so it can be high enough to do its job properly at all times. Hopefully that will help speed up your process significantly so you can Get Er Done :) I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night. :)

This morning the FC was approx 35 so I did not add anything. Bad part about it is that I might have enough 871 for one more test. I did order some more and it is suppose to be here tomorrow but I don't know what I will do till then.

Hello Gobbler,

If you run out of 0871 just continue to add what you've been adding. So if you've been adding 1/2-3/4 gallon of chlorine a couple/few times a day then continue to do just that, and then check your level when your reagents come in, and adjust accordingly.

Also Please put your pool information in your Signature so we know how many gallons your pool is etc. and we can better assist you. You can do this by going to the Top of this page clicking on Forum Actions---->General Settings then on the left side of your page there is a bold tab that says My Settings and under that is EDIT SIGNATURE. Here is a link that explains the kind of Info that you should include in it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

The FC level looked much better this morning, so hopefully, it will start to hold better since it is being Maintained at or above Shock level, so it can get that algae completely killed out. You are doing great!!! Have a wonderful day :).

Hello Gobbler,

If you run out of 0871 just continue to add what you've been adding. So if you've been adding 1/2-3/4 gallon of chlorine a couple/few times a day then continue to do just that, and then check your level when your reagents come in, and adjust accordingly.

Also Please put your pool information in your Signature so we know how many gallons your pool is etc. and we can better assist you. You can do this by going to the Top of this page clicking on Forum Actions---->General Settings then on the left side of your page there is a bold tab that says My Settings and under that is EDIT SIGNATURE. Here is a link that explains the kind of Info that you should include in it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

The FC level looked much better this morning, so hopefully, it will start to hold better since it is being Maintained at or above Shock level, so it can get that algae completely killed out. You are doing great!!! Have a wonderful day :).

Can you not see my pool info in my sig? It has been there since day one. I almost broke out laughing when I saw the 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon a day comment, heck I'm adding at least 2-4 gallons a day not 1/2 to 3/4.

LOL I can see the Signature info now, but sure couldn't this morning? LOL maybe I was still about half asleep, and my eyes weren't open enough to see it this morning?

LOL the 1/2 to 3/4 gallon was just an example. Bless your heart, I'm sure with your 80 CYA it takes a good amount to get to Shock level for sure. Generally when I suggest the blind add amount in circumstances like yours, I usually do the math on Pool Math to get a closer estimate of what they normally add, and use that in my example, but lol I couldn't see your siggy info this morning either to do it that way, so I just used an example to help you get an idea of what to do until your reagents arrive. :(.

You are doing great though. Keep up the good job, and Have a wonderful day :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Much better chlorine level this morning. Be sure you are vacuuming often and brushing the areas where the wall and floor meet, the lights, steps, ladders, skimmers, returns, etc. as the 1.5CC tell us there is still a significant amount of organics or algae in there that needs to be killed out. Now that you are keeping your chlorine level up at 31 ppm or higher, at all times, that will certainly help speed up the process.

You are doing great Gobbler. Keep up the good job, and have a wonderful day. :)

That will certainly help Gobbler. If you notice that the Polaris isn't getting everything up though I recommend a good slow manual vacuuming paying very close attention to the corners, and around the edges where the floor, and wall meet. The main thing is to ensure anything lurking in there is removed out, so you can get your FC level to start holding, and to get that CC level down, in order to be able to pass OCLT. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day :).

Wonderful to hear. I'm glad to see the CC level down to zero too. It must have found something in there earlier that it combined to.

Now that you are able to check your numbers again be sure, and give us the starting FC and CC when you check it, how much chlorine you add to increase it to whatever number per Pool Math.

That will help us from this point forward to be able to help you watch the numbers closely, monitor the chlorine drops etc., so we can let you know when to attempt to do OCLT. I'm hoping you are getting very, very, close now that you have increased the level and are maintaining it above shock level at all times.

What you are doing now, raising the chlorine level, and maintaining it at, or slightly above shock level, at all times, is what it takes to get the job done, and get all the algae killed out.

How does your pool look? Is it crystal clear, kind of clear, slightly cloudy, or very cloudy?

Keep up the great job Gobbler. Have a wonderful night. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.