Pool Pump ran dry for a couple of days!

Aug 16, 2015
Eagle Pass
Hello,

I have recently been bestowed the responsibility of maintaining my family's pool now that my mother, sister, and I have recently moved in to our old house. My father used to be the one to do all the technical work such as any plumbing work or anything dealing with the pool pump. I was just in charge of the grunt work, such as vacuuming. Well, the other day I vacuumed the pool, it was in dire need of it, and set it back to filter and went on my way. I was sure I had enough water in the pool to keep both the bottom drain and skimmer lines open, but apparently I was severely mistaken. I went out of town for a few days and on my way back my mother called me and said she noticed the pool was green, something that had never happened since we switched to salt water about 3 years ago. I immediately checked the pump and sure enough it was running dry and I'm positive it was running like that for the 3 days I was out. It won't catch a prime on its own (obviously) and when I try to prime it manually the best I can get is a "half" prime. By "half" prime I mean that it gets suction through the pipes and maintains it but the basket will not fill. I have tried every method of priming I have come across. And the pump won't even hold the "half" prime after the pump shuts off. The pump I have is a Pentair WFDS-6. I'd really appreciate any and all information or help I could get on the matter. I'd like to avoid having to buy a new pump all together, it'd cost me the majority of my current summer savings :(.

the reason it ran dry is because it got air in it. Check the most likely places first.
The skimmer wier (or door), make sure it isnt stuck shut.
Make sure your pump lid is secure and isnt sucking in air. You should always lubricate the O ring on the pump lid each time before you put it back on.

Check for any leaks around exposed PVC fittings.

The easiest way to check for suction side leaks, is to spary shaving cream foam around fittings and all around the pump lid. If there is a leak, it will suck the shaving cream into the pvc pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.