Dig out my pool?

Hi all, I've just joined this site after reading a few stories of others who've dug out their pools... none of those stories quite match my situation though. About 8 years ago, my in-ground pool with steel walls and vinyl liner was filled in. The previous owner of the property moved away and only used the place as a country house. The pool required too much maintenance and he was never here, so he filled it in. It was otherwise functioning fine, I am told. About 1/3 of the concrete decking, on one side, is still there. The rest of it was broken up and thrown in the pool (I assume). I've done some exploratory digging and it looks like the top 8 inches or so of the steel walls are bent down a bit on the sections where the concrete decking was removed. The lines that went to the pump and filter are still there, just cut off at the ground.<br><br>The pool 35+ years old. From what I've seen of the walls, they look remarkably rust free. I don't know the condition of the pool floor, it was concrete though. I imagine drainage holes were bored in it. It is a diamond shaped pool, 35 ft long and 27 ft wide at the widest point.<br><br>My idea is to begin unearthing the pool and reserve the dirt/debris just in case it turns out to be impossible to repair.  I have access to an experienced pool repair technician for free (son-in-law) but I would need to dig it out, tear out the decking, straighten the bent walls, install new coping and decking. My son-in-law who lives in Florida would be flown up here to repair the skimmer and re-do the plumbing. I would have the liner made and installed by a professional pool company. I am a moderately experienced DIYer with lots of determination. What do you think? Can this be done?

The biggest hurdle would be the bent steel walls.

The usual way this type of pool is installed, the walls are positioned and there is bracing on the back side of them which is staked into the ground. AFter that, a concrete footer is poured 8 to 12 inches deep all around the bottom of the walls to permenently secure the walls.

Vinyl Liners are installed onto a "coping" made of aluminum. This coping is attached to the top of the walls all around. The coping comes in straight pieces and formed on site to fit the shape of the pool.

Im afraid that the steel walls could never be straightened sufficiently for it to look right. Obvously, without digging it up, this can't be known for sure.

And then there are the steps......

I think if you are prepared to install a whole new pool, then start digging and see what is the real condition of the buried pool. If you feel you can save the buried one, then do it. But if the buried one cant be saved, then continue excavating and build a new one.

Or, start digging, and if you dont want to build a whole new one, then just cover it back up.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but thats my take on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.