Hi! New on here and after reading a bit I realize I need a better test kit for starters... Which I will try to acquire today. In the meantime I have a strange problem now that doesn't seem to be getting resolved and I'm ready to throw in the towel! This is my first full season with our pool that was installed last summer. My husband was against it so the pool is my responsibility. I'm fine with that. But my poor kids haven't been able to swim for over 2 weeks now! Honestly my details are hazy cuz it's been going on so long and I've tried a lot but I will try to be as accurate and specific as possible.

Started off 7/31 looking cloudy. Pool store was closed so I used Hth (Walmart) Ultra Shock. Some green debris around edges. Looked clearer (could see the bottom) but still hazy. Vacuumed (not to waste cuz I didn't know) and added clarifier the next day. Noticed debris on stairs and around the edges was more of a yellow-brown color. Vacuumed again (still not to waste) and water was waaay worse. Cloudy. Couldn't see thru it and haven't been able to get it better... Side note I had to go out of town for 3 days (8/7-8/9) after this so I'm sure that didn't help. But in the mean time my filter has been running 24/7 since 7/31 and I was back washing twice a day until I put Phosphate remover in on Wednesday cuz bottle said no back washing for 48hours. Levels were 800 on Sunday so I put 1 liter of pool perfect with phos free in. Wednesday levels were still 200 so put another liter of Phos free in. Different guy at store read bottle and pointed out the no back washing for 48 hours. Took sample back in on Friday. Was told to shock it. Took sample back in yesterday due to the fact that I still can't see my second step and the water still looks teal. Different guy gave me ph minus (8.0) and copper algaecide. Woke up this morning... Pool still looks the same! Ahhhhhhhhh!!

Should point out that yesterday I got in and scrubbed the walls, pulled out the ladder and vacuumed to waste for the third time since starting this ordeal and once again replaced the inch of water lost. Not putting the ladder back in until it's clear. TC and FC read 3 (on test strips) pH still high and perhaps this should also be noted... I was burning thru the Aqua smarte automatic chlorinators refills so switched to tabs in a floater but after one week and they never dissolved??? I switched to liquid. Could I have some super strange water problem? Ugh!!!

Does your local Walmart sell the HTH 6-way kit? Make sure that it includes the CYA (stabilizer) test. This should get you by until your TF-100 (assuming that is what you ordered) arrives. However, that kit will only test to 5ppm TC, so without at FAS-DPD test, you won't know how much higher your TC is.

Best guess is that your CYA is well over 100 given that you've been "pool stored".

Oh yeah, Welcome to TFP!

The best recommendation would be to start reading in Pool School, particularly the sections dealing with getting started and pool chemistry.

We will help you take control of your pool, and make it a truly Trouble Free Pool!

Hi CloudyandConfused,
Welcome to TFP! You have certainly come to the right place. We can help you and will be happy to.

Get the test kit. Thats the first thing.

Next thing, is stop using all of that stuff you have been using and stay away from the pool store. No More Pool Store For You!
All you need is your test kit and liquid chlorine to clear up your pool.

When your test kit arrives and you post up some test results, we will be able to give more exact advice on what to do.
In the meantime, if you will add 1 gallon of regular old household bleach until your test kit arrives, it may prevent the problem from getting worse.
Dont add any more than 1 bottle and dont add anything else to the pool.

Also in the meantime, please review the SLAM process. Its a process and this will process will clear up your pool. Your pool didnt get this way instantly and there is no instant cure or magic potion to fix it. It will take time but if you stick with it, you will be amazed at how clear your pool can be.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You will also need to learn how to use Pool Math
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
Play around with it a bit, and ask questions if you dont understand something about it.

Welcome to TFP Cloudy!

I just want to assure you that what you are experiencing is not strange or unusual. In fact we see nearly identical stories every day here. But what we also see is very consistent results for those who follow the advice here: finally clearing their pools. Permanently, if they continue to follow the TFPC system.

Divin Dave has the advice and links you need to get started. We will help see you through this, it is up to you to keep at it even when you feel down and are tempted to return to the pool store. Remember, they had their chance. At least give our advice a real shot before stepping foot back in there.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk