Slide or No Slide...that is the question.

Jul 12, 2015
Ooltewah, TN
Starting the build yesterday...on our way. (Can't show pics since I reached my limit??!?)

Anyway, we have to decide on a slide so they can put the plumbing in the right spot. We wanted to wait till next year, but they my other half raised the question....do we really need one.
Do you have one? Is it used that much or take up too much space.
I do have a 3 year old...but then just us too. Also, this is a sport pool with 5 1/2' depth.

Thanks.

we wanted one for our pool as our 2 kids would love it. We reached out to the insurance broker and they told us that there is only 1 insurance company in the state that will cover a slide in a pool and I will not like what they are charging. Needless to say we decided against it! You may want to plum for a water feature regardless so you can add down the road or if you decide to sell the house it is there for the next person. I had plumbing added for a water feature later down the road.

we wanted one for our pool as our 2 kids would love it. We reached out to the insurance broker and they told us that there is only 1 insurance company in the state that will cover a slide in a pool and I will not like what they are charging. Needless to say we decided against it! You may want to plum for a water feature regardless so you can add down the road or if you decide to sell the house it is there for the next person. I had plumbing added for a water feature later down the road.
Interesting...I never asked insurance about a slide, just a diving board. How dangerous is a slide??

With insurance companies the way they are... I would not do one. I don't have personal experience other than 2nd hand information but, even if your current insurance company says it is ok, if you ever have to change insurance it could become a problem or your current insurance company might change their rules upon a renewal.

Having hit my forehead on the floor of a neighbor's pool as a child after going down the slide head first (not a practice I would recommend), I can confirm that they can be somewhat dangerous. I was lucky and only needed stitches but I am well aware that it could have been much worse.

I have one and I don't think it really affects our insurance. On the other hand the pool and slide was already installed when we bought the house and I wasn't going to dismantle it based on insurance quotes. I hate what insurance companies have turned into. Their only purpose now is to ensure you have live a boring life. Anything remotely fun is either not covered or carries unreasonable premiums.

The slide is great fun for kids. We visited my brother-in-law outside Pittsburgh earlier this summer who also has one. My 3 year old loved it (I spotted him the first few times down) and prompt us to recondition ours right away. I get it back in a couple days.

BTW- 5 1/2' is an absolutely reasonable depth. You go down the slide feet first and even if you go down head first, you get projected out over the water, not down into it like you would off a diving board. Width of the landing area is more of a concern for a slide, than depth of water.

Slides will normally tell you the minimum depth required. We have a built in slide that required 3 1/2 or 4 feet. The Hotel Hershey has two large slides that come down in about three feet of water. The width of the slide area is also important as you need enough to room to slide across. In
My case the insurance company didn't even ask if we had a slide- only a diving board. However, going head first could be problematic and unless you are always watching you may be unable to stop
Kids from being reckless and that will increase the chance of a serious injury (if the kid goes directly down instead of across the pool).

When I grew up we had a slide into a 4' AGP. I can tell you right now, if you have a slide "head first" will be the only way anyone will ever want to go. Sitting upright with your arms extended straight, "the safe way", gets lame and boring pretty quick. It wasn't long before we were kneeling and trying to ride different floats down the slide. Yeah, it's amazing we survived and became the reckless adults we are today.

I'm not saying don't get a slide, just realize it will definitely lead to more dangerous practices the second you turn your head.

ac

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sure others will disagree but I have a slide for my above ground pool...it's an Sr Smith...my six year old and his friends love it...I go down it all the time..including head first and have never come close to hitting the bottom...I called my insurance company beforehand..state farm...and they said no problem at all....I was quite surprised and restated that it's an above ground pool....they said yep no problem...no increase in rates....

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

5ff23769a1241b2b2703e17380525dd3.jpg

I'm sure others will disagree but I have a slide for my above ground pool...it's an Sr Smith...my six year old and his friends love it...I go down it all the time..including head first and have never come close to hitting the bottom...I called my insurance company beforehand..state farm...and they said no problem at all....I was quite surprised and restated that it's an above ground pool....they said yep no problem...no increase in rates....

I wish here in Florida we could get State Farm or Allstate for home owners insurance. I go through Allstate but they make it clear that they are not thte insurance company. State Farm has talked about offering homeowners insurance again in Florida but has not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.