Pool pump Intermittent

Aug 15, 2015
Goldsboro, NC
So first off, new to these forums, but anxious to do a lot of reading for my pool needs!

So this post is actually for my neighbors pool, which currently is disgustingly green and filthy. But I digress.

So she within the past two-three months got a whole new setup to include pump, sand filter, etc. Same old pool and lines of course. It has been working fine, no issues aside from not making the pool instant crystal clear (joke!) until yesterday. She turned it off (only switch is the breaker) to backwash the filter just to keep it clean, and when she went to turn it back on, it hummed for a few seconds and cut off. I went over today and inquired why it was off, got that story. I tried myself and got the same result, noticing that it trips the breaker. I took off the back and checked the wiring to make sure everything was connected correctly and not corroded, no issues. I then tested the capacitor and that was fine. I won't lie, I'm no pro when it comes to pumps, so not sure what to do next, however I'm good with electronics and mechanicals with a bit of direction. What I do know has been learnt on the fly. Everything seems to be in fine working order, and it was working fine just a few days ago so not sure what is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to note, the pump is a Hayward Super Pump Model: C48K2N143B1

Welcome to TFP, First of all, that's not really a good setup using the breaker as an on/off switch. (but you probably already know that)

If you are handy I would put a proper switch on the circuit, somewhere near the pump.

That being said, I'm wonder if the breaker isn't worn out, since you day capacitor shows good.

Our resident electricians will be with you shortly, with further advice ;)

Update: So I went ahead and took a look at the breaker, looked great given apparently it was replaced not long ago (wonder if it burnt out?) so ruled that out. Does anyone know of a way to test a breaker to see if its good or not?

I then went and shot the pump to see if it was good, and good ohms readings of 0 across the board. Started turning the impeller from inside (I'm at the back cap if you're not following) and it seems to be clear as I heard they can clog. It rotated both directions just fine. Confused, I went to start it up again and it started working just fine. Since then, I cut the power twice and have had to turn the impeller to get it going again. So what does that mean? And for clarification since I'm no good with pool motors, is it in fact the impeller I am turning? Upon removing the cap, there is a square unit that had two springs and makes up the bulk of the back, but it rotates either direction.

Check the voltage at the pump or breaker next time you turn off the breaker and turn it back on again and the motor doesn't start. Let's see if there is something going on with that for starters. The breaker COULD still be bad. I'm assuming it is a double-pole breaker...is only one side of it tripping each time? Also, be sure the breaker is snug in the panel. I assume the panel is feeding other items...are those all okay? Assuming all this is fine (and I suspect it might be), then the pump motor has a problem and of that, I'm not sure.

Sounds like if you can make it start by giving it a spin and then applying power, if it will start up and run, then you have a problem with the centrifical switch. The part you are talking about in the back is a switch that changes the power to a different set of windings for start up, and switches back to run winding as the motor pick up speed. Most newer motors don't have this switch they use a start capacitor instead.

Try to clean the switch with some spray contact cleaner so that it moves freely.

If this doesn't sound like what you are looking at, then post up a few pics so we can see what you are working on.

Tim

Sorry haven't been able to get back to everyone sooner, been a busy week.

@Agent99 > I'll have to shoot the voltage next time I head over (hopefully tomorrow or Saturday). It is on a single pole breaker however which is seated pretty securely. There are 3 other breakers in the box, however all are turned off, my poor elderly neighbor has no clue what they go to, and naturally they are not labeled and I haven't messed with them just for safety reasons, haha.

@dieseltim2 > The motor does have a start capacitor. I have shot it to verify it is good, which it is. I will work on taking a picture of the part I'm referring to spinning next time I am there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.