Return Line Size

jrv331

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
Im buying all the pieces to hard plumb my system and plan on using 2" pvc all the way around but have run into a problem.

My return will not accept a 2" fitting** so Im left with a few options and need to know which is the best choice and possibly why. My return line will run from my heater to the pool.

1) Run 2" pvc for a few feet then reduce to 1 1/2" silver flex pipe to the pool.
2) Run all silver flex 1 1/2" from the heater to the return.
3) Run all 2" pvc and use several combination of rubber boots for the return connection.

Thanks for any help
John

** That is a story in it self if interested.

IMHO, the goal should be to use as much 2" pipe as possible to minimize friction loss. You should be able to find adapters to step down the 2" pipe to 1 1/2" at the returns. A short length of 1 1/2" is better than a long length.

Here's my problem and sorry if this is long and confusing. My return is a Aqualuminator (Pentair) combo light/return with a barb connection. I assumed that since I use the 1 1/2" silver flex hose that the barb was also 1 1/2". I got a 1 1/2 slip x ftp to glue to the barb. Its way to big for the barb, no way to glue it on.

So then I got a 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 adapter. It was too tight, almost cracked the fitting trying to get it on, which told me the barb was an odd size. Pentair sells a hard plumb adapter for the light, I ordered one. This fits great except that it fits over the small end of the barb and results in the barb opening being about 1". A 1 1/2 fitting will definitely glue to the adapter and then I can glue on my 1 1/2 x 2" adapter and the rest of the 2" pvc.

But what good is 1 1/2" or 2" pipe if the inside opening is only 1" - I figured this defeats the purpose.From your guys answers I guess my only real option is to use 2" pipe till about 3 ft from the return then use my silver flex to finish the connection at the return.

Thanks
John

jrv331 said:
But what good is 1 1/2" or 2" pipe if the inside opening is only 1" - I figured this defeats the purpose.

You still benefit if most of the pipe is 2". Head loss depends not only on diameter but also length. So even though the diameter may be small, if the length is also short, then the impact is not so great. It is not an ideal situation but try to keep the small diameter pieces as short as possible to minimize the impact.

Another option is to use a rubber coupler. I use them to connect my solar panels to the PVC and haven't had any problems. Another option is to go to Ace Hardware(or any other store like it) and buy a short, maybe 6" section of 1 1/2" reinforced hose and a 1 1/2" PVC male nipple. Connect the short hose between the two and connect the PVC pipe to the other end of the nipple.

HTH,
Adam

if all of that is going to be burried under ground - do yo ureally want to have the "havent had any problems yet" attitude about it ?
glue - and lots of it for a good positive connection

What volume of water are you planning on running through the return line
how many return jets are you installing ?

2" as far as posible is the best bet you can make, stepping down to 1 1/2 inch at the end will increase head pressure slightly, but by the same token can increase water velocity/pressure from the return

The OP is talking about plumbing an AG pool. I The part with a rubber connector will be above ground(I think). You are right about that. I wouldn't use a rubber connector underground because if it ever blows up or leaks, it will be hard to replace. Though, above ground I have no problem using the rubber connectors. The ideal situation is to hard plumb/glue everything, but it's not always an option.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.