Sta Rite SR400NA leaking from Blower

bigdave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Boise Idaho
Just returned from a family vacation to find the heater leaking water out of the blower. Unfortunately I do not have a bypass before the heater to allow the pool to stay running.

Can anyone help with troubleshooting. I searched for a while, but no real good threads that I could find.

A temp bypass also doesn't look promising since the union connectors are build for this heater. Any ideas would be appreciated as well, other than rebuilding the piping from filter.

I found another thread that suggests pulling the bottom manifold bolt out to check for water and a compromise in the heating exchange. I pulled the bolt and out came water.....

So, now my questions are.

Can I rebuild the unit and replace the heat exchange? Or has your experience found that it is better to just replace the complete unit?

Anyone have ideas on bypass? That way when I fix or replace I can just bolt back together versus have to rebuild the piping manifold twice?

Replacing the heat exchangers on these units isn't the easiest job. How old is the unit? Depending on the age of the unit, BTU's, and your level of handiness, it may or may not be a job to tackle. Usually when I come upon a unit that has a leaking heat exchanger, I replace the heater. If you do decide to replace the unit, I would highly recommend a Raypak.

Adding a bypass is pretty easy.

This unit was build in mid 2006 and 400K btu. I'm handy, but time is more of an issue with me balancing work, family, and down time.

Two questions, do you have a reference on steps to change the exchanger? Also, best way to bypass this configuration of unions that are non standard with over the counter fittings for a quick bypass?

Thanks PS0303! I just used my sawzall and cut the pipes and used fitting and pipe to bypass. I will put the heater in the garage for winter project. Thanks for the video! I found the manifold for about $600, seems a lot better than 2K to replace. Any concerns with the rebuild? Your comment earlier was that you just replace the units when this occurs. I am wondering if I am missing something other than the work involved in rebuild? With water flowing out of the blower with power on the system maybe I damaged other parts that could be of concern. The heater has not been run since early summer, but I did notice when power on it shows 128, then r=5.

I replace because the cost for the consumer for me to do the work/parts is over half of what a new unit costs.

You will need to inspect the blower and make sure it's not damaged in any way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.