Chlorine to High...

Feb 21, 2009
Is my Chlorine to high 10ppm? All my other water test results are fine. I'm new to this pool stuff..I have a Salt system by Goldline..Should I shut the pool chlorinator off for a few days?? I first had it at 50% and 35% and know 25% and it's still sitting at 10ppm. I also have a pool cover that I keep closed all week should I crack that open as well..I love the pool cover it keeps my pool clean... Any info would be great...Thanks...

Welcome to TFP!

It would help greatly if you could post a full set of water test results. FC of 10 might be too low, just right, or too high, depending on some of your other numbers. Odds are it is too high, but there is no way of saying without knowing you other numbers.

If you keep the pool covered nearly all the time, it is common for the percentage on the SWG to need to be quite low. Opening the pool cover will lower the FC level, but it would be best to know if that is a good idea or not first.

Recommended free chlorine levels for SWGs are 5% of the CYA level so you could probably get away with a FC level of 2 ppm with a CYA of 30 ppm.

However, with a SWG, you would be better off with a CYA closer to 80 ppm and FC level of 4 ppm. Goldline recommends a CYA level of 60-80 ppm and it is easier to maintain a constant FC level when the CYA is closer to 80 ppm.

Just note that if you have the pool cover on most of the time and don't find the rise in pH to be objectionable, then a higher CYA level (i.e. 70-80 ppm) is not as important. It will help a little to let you have the SWG on-time a little lower when the pool is open to direct sunlight, but otherwise it's not critical.

The reason for the higher CYA needed for most SWG pools is that they are exposed to direct sunlight so the higher CYA reduces the chlorine usage due to breakdown from sunlight and that lets one turn down the SWG on-time which reduces the rate of pH rise, increases cell life, and reduces cost.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.