Best test for high chlorine

50 ppm would be plenty.

Why does taylor's website say DPD will bleach out above 10 ppm if DPD/FAS goes to 50 ppm?

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Also, Both my dad and I plan on getting Dave's kit when our current one's run out, but in the meantime can you buy just the DPD/FAS as a stand alone?

Yup.

But you also need some R-0003

Fill your container with 10 ml water. Add one or two scoops powder (some people say one is enough, Taylor says two) and swirl, if chlorine is present it will turn pink. Add 0871 dropwise, swirling after each drop, until solution turns clear. This is your endpoint. Count each drop as 0.5 ppm FC.

Add 5 drops R-0003 and swirl, if solution turns pink then you have combined chlorine. Proceed as above adding drops until the solution turns clear. Count each drop as 0.5 ppm CC. CC added to FC gives you TC.

You can dilute the sample with distilled or DI water if it's costing you too much on R-0871 drops (but at $11 a bottle send me some send me some :-D :-D :-D)

I don't know a lot about the chemistry behind DPD and DPD/FAS and why one goes to 20 and the other to 50 ppm. I know that DPD combined with chlorine produces something called Wurster's Dye (this is the pink to red reaction product) and this dye, at higher chlorine levels, further oxidizes to a colorless product. That's all I know, sorry.

Thanks Guys.

That looks to be the way to go, and the ones I linked appear to be the same one's you linked.

CaOCI2, when you are testing for the combined chlorine, I assume you don't count the 5 initial drops of DPD?

Rangeball said:
Thanks Guys.

That looks to be the way to go, and the ones I linked appear to be the same one's you linked.

CaOCI2, when you are testing for the combined chlorine, I assume you don't count the 5 initial drops of DPD?

Nope.

If the solution turns pink after adding 5 drops of R-0003 then you have combined chlorine. You add R-0871 dropwise until the sample turns clear, counting the number of R-0871 drops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rangeball said:
50 ppm would be plenty.

Why does taylor's website say DPD will bleach out above 10 ppm if DPD/FAS goes to 50 ppm?

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Also, Both my dad and I plan on getting Dave's kit when our current one's run out, but in the meantime can you buy just the DPD/FAS as a stand alone?
The colormetric DPD test is different from the FAS-DPD titration test. A DPD test will beach out at about 10=15 ppm FC unless you dilute the sample with distilled water and multiply the test results by the dilution ratio. FAS-DPD can work at much higher FC levels since if the DPD bleaches out you just add a bit more until you get a stable color and then you titrate to endpoint.
Taylor, LaMotte, and Hach (AquaChek/AquaTrend) all sell stand alone FAS-DPD test kits. If you already have a Taylor K-2005 this is all you really need for complete water testing. You might want to add a Taylor K-1000 OTO/pH test kit for quick daily checks, inexpensive and very useful. I keep one by the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.