Looking for feedback on equipment for new pool

May 28, 2015
Toronto/ON
Hello,

I just posted my intro in the Introduce Yourself forum. :wave:

I live in Toronto, Canada and my husband and I are building a pool (specs below) and are at the point where our PB wants us to make some decisions on the equipment.

Here are the current specs for our pool, which is in progress (gunite in place, flagstone patio nearly complete...)

• IG, gunite rectangular
  • 16x30, 20K gallon
  • SWG
  • Beadcrete Water Blue
  • Coverstar automated retractible cover
  • Paramount PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning system
  • Attached, but winterized raised gunite spa

Our goal is to have as much automation of equipment and chemistry as possible. We are both relative tech geeks and currently control our thermostat, alarm systems, security cameras, etc. from our iPhones, so it's fair to say that Internet of Things has landed in our home. :)

Could I ask for some feedback on the equipment our PB has proposed for us? Do you see anything you think we will miss? Anything we can do without? I've read about the OmniLogic system and given that our PB is using Hayward, I am curious to know if we should be looking into that rather than the AquaLogic automation...

Hayward Heater -H300FDN
Hayward Filter – C4030
x2Hayward Variable Speed Pumps – SP3400 VSP
Hayward Aqua Logic Automation –PL-PS-16-CUL
Hayward T – Cell 15 Salt System
Hayward P-Kit
Hayward Wireless Handheld Remote AQL2Pod
Hayward Remote Wireless Base RF
Hayward Wireless Home Connect –AQ-CO-HomeNet
4x Melody Lights – Savi Melody 100

TIA for your advice!

The omni is just the newer system with what appears to be a better interface.

Don't get sucked into thinking a digital tester is better. Stick with the recommended drop based test kits.

And remember there is no such thing as a maintenance free pool.

That looks like a nice set of equipment to me.

Like Jblizzle says, leave the testing to yourselves, and get a good test kit. In Canada, the only really good test kit available, is the Taylor 2006. If you can get the 2006C, then get the C version. The C version has larger amounts of test regent, so it will last a lot longer than the non-C version will.

Wellllll you can use it now! I would test your fill water. Do all of the tests except the CYA test as CYA has to be added.

The reason to test your fill water is to know what you need to have on hand when you start filling.

I am going to give you some links. I would like you to print these out and keep them by your test kit.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

This next one is a neat one. It does the math for you. It tells you what to add and how much....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

This will get you started! LOL

Kim

Thanks, Kim! Our fill water is being trucked in, so I don't have access to a sample. I don't think I can expect it to be the same as my tap water, but I have already learned that (according to the city website) the average Ph of water in Toronto is 7.7, so we should be prepared to lower it.

I 'd like to know if I should be asking our PB to quote us on the Omni Logic since, as jblizzle mentioned, it is the newer version of Aqua Logic?

I realize the above list is already relatively "upgraded", but I wonder if the Omni Logic is a further upgrade that we should be asking out PB to quote us on?

Also, I notice there is no muriatic acid feed system in the list. Should we consider adding this in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you want to know?
If you want the latest (and maybe greatest), get the Omni.
If you want to try to automate your pH control, get the acid feeder (do not use the ORP automation).

Either way, you still need to be testing the water every few days and making adjustments.

Hayward Omni Logic vs. Aqua Logic?

Our PB has quoted us or an Aqua Logic automation system for our new IG pool build. I've read about the Omni Logic but it isn't entirely clear to be what the benefits are beyond the Aqua Logic.

Can anyone comment on whether this is an upgrade we should be considering? I know it is relatively new, so I'm intrigued but I also don't want to invest in something that turns out to be the Betamax of pool equipment.

We like the idea of controlling our equipment from our mobile devices, but this seems to be available with the Aqua Connect interface that come with Aqua Logic and the wireless base station, etc.

Can anyone shed light on the differences?

Re: Hayward Omni Logic vs. Aqua Logic?

You may want to consider getting a Raypak heater instead of the Hayward. The Raypak has better reviews across the board and it is made in Candada. Also, look at getting a Stenner pump for your acid. Between the SWG and the Stenner you would have almost full automation of your two primary chemicals. Another thing is to make sure your PB includes a fill line into your pool that you could have an electrical solenoid valve attached to so that you could have some water added each day to account for evaporation, further automating your pool.

Thanks, gary300. I'll ask about the Raypak and the fill line.

Here is the revised equipment list from our PB after we agreed to switch to the Omni Logic. I'm out of town and not near a computer so have to post a screen cap.

Also added is the AQL-CHEM3-120, which was missing from the previous list, also added is the HL-CHEM Sense & Dispense. My question for any experts reading this is whether we indeed need both of these units for PH automation and if so, whether the AQL-CHEM3-120 is the appropriate unit to add on to the Omni Logic. I can't seem to find any info to confirm this and Hayward product support is closed Sundays. The equipment is set to arrive tomorrow.

TIA for any help.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440370218.987747.jpg

Everything looks good. Just curious why you did not go with the Hayward 12v Universal ColorLogic lights. In the future the OmniLogic will have the ability to accept the Hayward Color module. The module gives you the ability to program your own color shows. Presently you can program the OmniLogic for the UCL lights but not Melody lights. You can only turn the Melody lights off and on.

Hayward Pool, I asked our PB about switching to ColorLogic since the lights are not yet installed (and our Beadcrete has been delayed yet another week). The answer from him was that "everything has already been wired for the Savi Melody lights".

Really? This kind of surprises me. As a layperson, I thought a light was a light from an electrical perspective.

It's a little disappointing that we weren't offered the ColorLogic as we would have gone with them over the Savis knowing the future interoperability with the Omni Logic. :-/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.