Pool Construction Nightmare

Aug 15, 2015
Katy/Texas
I have spent a lot of time searching for information concerning pool construction problems. Our construction began in June. I should have known we were in trouble when they cut the power line we paid $1900 to move. Nearly yanked the meter of the wall.

It seems like every Phase of construction has had problems. We were on vacation when they did the gunite. I came home to find that the top edge of the back wall was 8" thinner on one side. Although the inside of the pool was a straight line the back side tapered from one end to the other. I was told that the tile guy would fix it with mud so that both sides of the wall would be the same width when completed. But he did nothing. Consequently, the concrete guy improperly lined up his form on that side. The taper continued all the way to the fence where it was measured to be off by a foot. This would have caused the loss of several square feet of deck space.

The biggest issue, however, has been the flagstone coping and stacked rock walls. Strikingly similar to a post I read on this forum dated 2011. The golden buckskin color we chose was not what was put on the pool. It was reddish pink or rosa. Did not even come close to matching the tile we picked. My wife was in tears so I confronted the PB. It was a battle to say the least. I won't bore you anymore than I already have, but I am a lawyer. Ultimately, they agreed to demo the pink stone and install the correct color. To make sure it was right this time, my wife and I went to the stoneyard and picked 3 pallets of flagstone. The difference was night and day. Amazingly, it matched our tile too. Go figure.

Here is the current issue. The "tile guy" and his crew were less than thrilled to demo the pink disaster and start over. I actually stayed home the day they installed the new stone. I have 2 stacked stone walls 25' long each and approx 2.5-3' high. The pink job had 2 guys working meticulously with a level and mortar while a third guy cut stone and they finished about 1/3 of the wall in a day. This time, only one guy stacking stone and he did twice as much in the same amount of time. It seemed like He was throwing mud and stone in the wall, never used a level, and really did not care how it looked. Now, there are places in the wall where there is more mortar than stone, cracked mortar, holes in mortar, etc. I noticed the same problem on the fire pit that they did the following day.

This work was done this week. Is this normal? Am I stressing over nothing. I will send pics as soon as I figure out how to attach. I appreciate input.

Just wanted to mention up front that what you're going through is NOT normal. Our new construction in-ground went exactly to schedule and we were home for every action done throughout construction due to having a dog and secure access. The PB stated a run time of 6-8 weeks from excavation to swimming, and they did it in 7 weeks total. I was able to have a hand in every step, including grill island, firepit, and pool excavation, rebar, shotcrete, and pebble. The crew was on site daily like clockwork, and early morning, and used levels, guide strings, and other specific method and tools throughout. The same guys showed up each time for consistency and I handed out cold Gatorade and water, which they appreciated.

Choosing a PB can be a shot in the dark, but referrals and online reviews go a long way to ensuring best quality and satisfaction. At this dire point in your construction, it might make sense to end the current contract for non performance and start with contractor estimates to repair what's there or demo to your satisfaction and go from there.

Recently in Phoenix, a longtime PB (Paddock Pools) was sold to new owners who started projects, took deposits and then performed minimal shoddy work until bankrupt. It happens sometimes, and so sorry to hear your story. In the end, the final product needs to meet your standards of quality and beauty, and if things aren't going well now, I can only hope they'd get better.

Edited to add, check with your ROC, as there is a fund for work to repair problems with a ROC contractor who doesn't keep to their standards.

Those are just a few of over 50 photos I have of holes in the mortar, cracks, crooked stones, v-shaped mortar lines in the coping, and large areas where there should be stone but they decided to simply fill in with mortar. I would upload them all if I could, but either I don't know what I'm doing or the site is limiting me to 250KB of upload files on the thread.

Bottom line it sounds like I'm not crazy and that this is substandard stone work. The pool company has been around a long time. However, the customer service and quality control has sucked to say the least. No one from the company even came by during the demo or re-installation to see if sub was doing a good job.

Wow, that just looks shoddy, to say the least. You are well within your rights to tell them to rip it out.

You said the PB has never been on site?!?! You need to go directly to the PB and not deal with any of the subs. That work is ridiculous and amateurish. The PB should be ashamed that his masonry subs did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3179440ea268aec2db695b2e808ef347.jpg
cb43f8e2ea001a9765d62dd15927ecb4.jpg
3c184d54b79c43466e784edd47f67fd1.jpg
9cc50da636bff557a74e2dc5137eb62d.jpg
48bd718c8e56c8a6e41516f77214daad.jpg
f34e2536bc384d0f83cb2ef3380e7dc4.jpg
8198cdfc14418d6bcdc2ccdad6923c96.jpg
4965c6cdbbc7ae779154c71c6d579d61.jpg
eeb8c307ace52dd13d9d82da3fe4dd54.jpg
ce69cef0be6f0736ff6f48cbeab3c303.jpg
551812ba6dd45ce9e0062a3853b47651.jpg
47b8973398a341925ad0d082bc28550e.jpg
b20b8e3f5ad3fd217659d656094f0e15.jpg
982c74bed53c0ca996d5a592b5003a09.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. I would NOT accept that. I am freaking out over here on your behalf!! A new pool is a huge investment, and you are right. This PB is not holding up his end of the contract. At this point, I would tell them to demo as much as possible and start again. What about the plumbing, etc.? Any issues there? I'd also get the BBB involved if the company isn't responsive to you.

Sorry you and your wife have to go through this!

Wow that's sad. I'd be royally ticked too. You are Not being unreasonable at all that is really shotty work. I agree with jduck that it looks like someone stayed too long at Charlie's Bar again. I would definitely contact the PB, and make them fix all that mess before going any further because that is totally uncalled for. You can tell they didn't use a level, or spacers, or anything to keep them in line. They just stuck the stones up there, slapped some mortar on them, and hoped they stayed.

On a more positive note though, I love the colors you, and your wife picked. IF they ever get it fixed correctly it's going to be very pretty. It's probably good you are a lawyer because you may very well be needing one soon. Just smh, you're spending all that money to have something nice for you and your family, and the work they're doing looks like that. I am truly sorry that you and your wife are being put through all that. Anyway, try your best to have a good night, and PS-Don't look out the window.

Sorry you are having problems with your pool build. It seems like the tile company is upset with the pb and they screwed up the redo on purpose to make a point. If your pool builder is reputable, he will take responsibility and have another tile company redo the stone work. Good luck.

Wow, I'm so sorry to see this. That is some of the worst stone work I have ever seen.

If that was my pool I wouldn't let another one of those amateurs near it again.

Tell the PB you want another contractor IMMEDIATELY!

Best of luck,
Dom

I really appreciate everyone's input. I am putting hold on project until I can have another stone/and tile guy take a look and tell me what needs to be done. Then I will sit down with PB. At this point I simply can't trust PB or its sub. I want it done right, whatever it takes.

Good luck. Keep posting updates if you can, these threads are very important to people looking for pool build info. It teaches a lot about what can happen and how to fix it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.