Albany, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
We had our pool installed yesterday. We were asked if we wanted it back filled to the top and we said 1' from the top. Apparently that meant leave 1' around the perimeter and a cliff in the back. We asked about the fill when they were installing the liner and told us they might not be able to get us the fill.

Is the mess in front of the pool normal? When they came out to measure, we were told that a 1' area would be dug up and that was it. They just left all of this dirt all over the lawn.

They also didn't fill in the trenches left from the truck, collapsed part of our driveway, didn't leave the winter cover, chemicals and instruction manuals that were listed as being included in the pool

This is a big expense for us and I'm sick over the way that it's turning out. So, is this what the finished project should look like or am I expecting too much? image.jpg

Honestly that looks pretty good for pre-landscaping in the front. I presume you didn't have final landscaping in the contract for the pool?

For the back, I'm not clear from your description what the exact expectation was so I see how it was not done the way you wanted. Did you have in writing or pictures exactly how the grading was to look?

Usually they don't fix collateral damage to driveways, lawns and such, unless specifically written in the contract.

Them not leaving items in the contract should be an easy fix with a phone call. Shouldn't have been needed but that's construction.

Sorry to be a downer but often times if it's not clearly in writing, it ain't happenin'.

Keep on them though to get everything you can, but they may have some pretty generous wiggle room depending on the contract language.

First of all.... A big hearty WELCOME to TFP! :wave: You've come to a great place to vent and get support, ideas, advice, and maybe a chuckle or two!

I am so sorry you are disappointed - I would be, too. I always get this vision in my head, but I can't always express to others what it is to be. I think being new, you did like many of us here have done - assume the obvious. And far too many pool crews take advantage of our inexperience. Surely they wouldn't think you WANT your beautiful yard left that way?!!! "Please, Mr. Pool Installer, when you're finished, could you leave an eyesore around my new pool?" Honestly, it's unfathomable to me.

Sadly, I agree with the others. If it wasn't in writing, it probably isn't going to happen. But at least, give the guy an opportunity to plainly show his true colors!!! He might just surprise us all! And if he doesn't, say thank you (he will feel smaller at some point) and move on.

I hate to be so negative, but you might not like what he does to 'improve' the situation.

You have amazing property! Those trees are gorgeous - I'd kill for property like yours! Your fencing and flower beds are beautiful. Not to mention your grass/lawn. Is that for real or did you photo shop such a beautiful lawn??? Just kidding.... and jealous!

I don't know anything about slopes (I live in flat, flat, flat Houston), but do you need a retaining wall on the backside of the pool? I hope some of the experienced experts can help you with that. There are many fabulous retaining walls to see on TFP. And several were owner built. I know they are necessary, but man, they really add beauty and character to the landscape. You have a lovely patio and could tie in colors between the patio and wall. Most of the time, these projects are done in stages. So take some time to dream using this site, Pinterest, and others for inspiration. And TFP has many talented and gifted experts in design. But from the looks of your lawn and flower bed, you can manage all on your own. While you're dreaming, you can save some money for the new projects and learn your new space. As you use the pool and area, you will find things to add and change about the pool and area that will make it even more enjoyable.

Keep in touch and let us know what happens and any plans you start dreaming up regarding your yard. I'm betting it will be fabulous!!! Include photos of your ideas and inspirations! We love pictures and love to help dream up ideas - Translation: We enjoy helping you find new ways to spend money!!!

Take care,
Suz.

Suz did a great job of conveying what most of us want to. She certainly has that talent.
Basically, if its not in writing, then you are most likely on your own.

You will definitely need to do something about the hill behind the pool. Otherwise, the rain will erode it and you'll end up with a pile of dirt around that side. If you told them 1 ft from the top, then nicely approach the PB and explain that, perhaps he will man up and do the right thing.

I agree with her also, to look at it as a great opportunity to make a lovely pool area just like you envision. A bit of creative thinking and googling for inspiration and you'll be surprised how awesome that space can be.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I can't wait to be able to start working on getting the water to sparkle. The pictures I've seen on here are incredible.

Our contact was really brief. It only stated what we were buying, the fact that they don't fix drainage around the pool, and that we were responsible for paying for extra excavation. We have notes about the pool written on the company's letterhead that states the pool will be 1/2 in ground. This is what we were going for View attachment 41700

This was was we had in mind when we were going for a 1/2 inground pool. We figured there would be a foot of dirt around the pool and that would be it. We don't understand why there was so much dirt dumped into the area in front of the pool. I wish we could move it ourselves. My husband broke his ankle in June and needs surgery. I'm too broken for that kind of work.

I'm going to try to look on the bright side: no structural issues and a clean canvas to work on. Maybe a glass of wine will make it look better. :cheers:

You know, I just reread all the posts and Dave is right on when he said suz conveyed what we all were thinking, but did a lousy job of conveying it. (I know I did) In my haste to comment and be brief, it may have sounded a little cold.

I apologize.

While there is little we can offer other than appeal to the PB and hope he is an honorable business man, we do understand the expense you went to and frustration you feel.

What we can offer is all the support you need going forward to have a beautiful pool that you will be proud of. This site is full of all kinds of people with all kinds of knowledge. So don't hesitate to ask any and all questions.

Just like there are so many people on here to correct me if I give wrong or bad pool advice, Thank goodness there are also people like suz and Kim that teach me to be a little more compassionate.

Here's to hoping all gets better around your home and you enjoy many hours of "pool time" (it will be good therapy after surgery, I'm sure)

And ....a big TFP welcome to you :wave:

No apologies necessary! I didn't think any of the responses were cold or negative. Suz's quote about leaving the yard a mess had me laughing. I don't have much experience dealing with contractors who don't provide the product expected. I've been fortunate. At least I've found paperwork saying that it should be back filled. I'll bribe some friends with dinner and a dip in the pool to help with the raking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a lot of potential there. First & foremost though, as Richard mentioned above, with a job installation like this, there should be no wrinkles in the liner and once you fill it up, you should see a level waterline not to exceed one inch around. If you pass those two things, then anything else you can get from the installer is probably bonus at this point.
The good this is that when it comes to your filtration system and chemicals, just about everyone here can guide you right through the initial process without a manual. :) At least that should be one less thing to worry about.

Hey, I have to ask this now ... that blue hose. Is that your fill water source? Is it city or well?

As for the landscaping, you have a LOT of potential there. There's no pool installer that will do you justice when it comes to the personal touch YOU want. Maybe pay a couple young kids in the neighborhood with strong backs to shovel a bit for you too. Just to move the heavy stuff.

Anyways, we look forward to your story and progress. Welcome to TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.