Chipped Glass Tile... Am I Being To Picky?

I have the unfortunate ability to almost instantly pick out imperfections. I decided to go with glass for my waterline tile and after installation I noticed several tiles were chipped. What does everything think, should I just let it go or should I have the PB replace the tile. If they replace the chipped tile, I'm afraid it will be the first ones to fall off later. The chipped tiles are 1"x1".

Attachments

• IMG_3835.JPG
    IMG_3835.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3839.JPG
    IMG_3839.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 162
I try to be understanding about projects and stuff, but some of those are pretty significant chips. With all the money you are paying, I'd want it done right. I'm actually surprised a contractor would even have installed damaged tile like that to begin with. That's a shame.

I completely agree! I also try to be tolerant and realize that we do not live in a perfect world But some of these Are very visible And will detract from the overall appearance Of your pool and the General impression of quality of it. I would also have them redo it. Good luck
I try to be understanding about projects and stuff, but some of those are pretty significant chips. With all the money you are paying, I'd want it done right. I'm actually surprised a contractor would even have installed damaged tile like that to begin with. That's a shame.

I also used glass tile, and that would be unacceptable. It's maddening how a tile guy could let that go. He's working within inches of the tiles and didn't notice the chips? Give me a break.

Were the tiles installed individually or were they on a mesh or taped mat?

If the tiles were on something like a 1' square mat, I would insist the entire mat be replaced. If several in a mat were damaged, then the entire mat might be of lesser quality tile. Also, when tile is installed using a mesh mat, then the bonding is important between the tile, mesh, and thinset. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that if individual tiles are pulled off and replaced, then those tiles may be more likely to pop off later since they were not already adhered to the mesh from the beginning. Some of their strength relies on the mesh which had to be disturbed to pull them off, so the new tiles don't have the same strength. I hope some expert will set me straight if this is something that doesn't really matter. The other point being that when the damaged tiles are removed, the entire 1 sq ft mesh group might be compromised. But I wouldn't ask the PB or tile guys these questions, because they will tell you it's all fine. Try to research online to see if my thinking is possible. Time to cure before water is added would be another concern. I would want at least a week cure time and longer I think would be better. But..... my PB insisted one day was plenty. The makers of my tile insisted on a 3 week cure time. Most of my tile had that time, but my step tiles and trim tiles had about 2 days cure time. Time will tell for me.....

If the tiles were installed individually, then I would think it would be ok to pull off individual tiles and replace. My only concern about whether they would pop off later would be regarding how long they have to cure before water is added.

One more thing..... When they replace any of the tiles, watch the tile guys carefully and make sure they match the grout. That seems obvious, but trust me, you can't assume anything. It really is shocking how careless some workers are.

Like I said, I'm not a tile expert, but maybe this will give you some things to consider.

Your tile is beautiful!!! I love the different sizes and all the lovely blues! You are going to love them when you add water and sunlight together!

Let me know if you have any more questions. Take care!
Suz.

Is it just one area of damaged tiles or are they scattered throughout the entire pool? If they are scattered throughout the pool I would ask for the whole job to be redone. If they are only in a small section I might see if I could live with it for a reduction in cost. Also check if those chipped edges are sharp enough to cut someone. Get some post-it flags and inspect all the tiles and mark each chipped tile with a flag then take a picture of the pool showing as many of the flags as possible. I would either have the builder come out and take a look at the tiles or send him pictures and see if you can work out a satisfactory solution. The builder may also want to contact his tile crew to see why they did not report damaged tiles before they were installed. I'm sure the price the builder paid for materials did not specify damaged tile!

I am in the process of putting up glass tiles in a bathroom. My tiles are 3/4" x 3/4" on a 12" square mat. When cutting small tiles, it is tough to avoid any chips but it is possible. Your chips aren't even on cut tiles. I have noticed a couple of cracked tiles as I have put them up and I replaced them as I went. I see no reason to replace a whole mat for one chipped tile. The mat is for ease of installation. It doesn't add much to the strength as far as I know. If they used thinset designed for glass tiles then good contact directly to the back of the tile is where the strength comes from. In fact, I have seen some reference to the mat interfering with good contact to the tile and detracting from the strength. I would definitely have them replace the chipped tiles.

If you only have a handful of chipped tiles, then asking for the whole thing to be redone is flat out unreasonable in my opinion. If your pictures represent the typical section of tile, then that is perhaps a different story. You might want to post the question over at the forum at johnbridge.com. They have professional tile setters over there who typically have very high standards that could tell you what you should expect and how durable a repair is likely to be. They run into these kinds of issues all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I try to be understanding also but I am a perfectionist. I agree, I would have assumed the tile installer would have noticed the chipped tile.

I also used glass tile, and that would be unacceptable. It's maddening how a tile guy could let that go. He's working within inches of the tiles and didn't notice the chips? Give me a break.

Were the tiles installed individually or were they on a mesh or taped mat?

If the tiles were on something like a 1' square mat, I would insist the entire mat be replaced. If several in a mat were damaged, then the entire mat might be of lesser quality tile. Also, when tile is installed using a mesh mat, then the bonding is important between the tile, mesh, and thinset. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that if individual tiles are pulled off and replaced, then those tiles may be more likely to pop off later since they were not already adhered to the mesh from the beginning. Some of their strength relies on the mesh which had to be disturbed to pull them off, so the new tiles don't have the same strength. I hope some expert will set me straight if this is something that doesn't really matter. The other point being that when the damaged tiles are removed, the entire 1 sq ft mesh group might be compromised. But I wouldn't ask the PB or tile guys these questions, because they will tell you it's all fine. Try to research online to see if my thinking is possible. Time to cure before water is added would be another concern. I would want at least a week cure time and longer I think would be better. But..... my PB insisted one day was plenty. The makers of my tile insisted on a 3 week cure time. Most of my tile had that time, but my step tiles and trim tiles had about 2 days cure time. Time will tell for me.....

If the tiles were installed individually, then I would think it would be ok to pull off individual tiles and replace. My only concern about whether they would pop off later would be regarding how long they have to cure before water is added.

One more thing..... When they replace any of the tiles, watch the tile guys carefully and make sure they match the grout. That seems obvious, but trust me, you can't assume anything. It really is shocking how careless some workers are.

Like I said, I'm not a tile expert, but maybe this will give you some things to consider.

Your tile is beautiful!!! I love the different sizes and all the lovely blues! You are going to love them when you add water and sunlight together!

Let me know if you have any more questions. Take care!
Suz.

They were installed with a mesh backing. I just read about cure times which can vary depending on what type of adhesive/waterproofing is used. Hopefully the installer know what he is doing as use the correct materials. Thanks for the compliment! I really think the tile looks great with the exception of the chipping.

Is it just one area of damaged tiles or are they scattered throughout the entire pool? If they are scattered throughout the pool I would ask for the whole job to be redone. If they are only in a small section I might see if I could live with it for a reduction in cost. Also check if those chipped edges are sharp enough to cut someone. Get some post-it flags and inspect all the tiles and mark each chipped tile with a flag then take a picture of the pool showing as many of the flags as possible. I would either have the builder come out and take a look at the tiles or send him pictures and see if you can work out a satisfactory solution. The builder may also want to contact his tile crew to see why they did not report damaged tiles before they were installed. I'm sure the price the builder paid for materials did not specify damaged tile!

They are scattered throughout the whole pool. I'm almost positive they wouldn't redo the whole job. I already check the chipped edges and they are not sharp enough to cut anyone. Yeah, I already sent the builder an email.

I am in the process of putting up glass tiles in a bathroom. My tiles are 3/4" x 3/4" on a 12" square mat. When cutting small tiles, it is tough to avoid any chips but it is possible. Your chips aren't even on cut tiles. I have noticed a couple of cracked tiles as I have put them up and I replaced them as I went. I see no reason to replace a whole mat for one chipped tile. The mat is for ease of installation. It doesn't add much to the strength as far as I know. If they used thinset designed for glass tiles then good contact directly to the back of the tile is where the strength comes from. In fact, I have seen some reference to the mat interfering with good contact to the tile and detracting from the strength. I would definitely have them replace the chipped tiles.

Now that you mentioned it, where the tile is actually cut, near the skimmer, has several large chips.

If you only have a handful of chipped tiles, then asking for the whole thing to be redone is flat out unreasonable in my opinion. If your pictures represent the typical section of tile, then that is perhaps a different story. You might want to post the question over at the forum at johnbridge.com. They have professional tile setters over there who typically have very high standards that could tell you what you should expect and how durable a repair is likely to be. They run into these kinds of issues all the time.

Thanks for info on john bridge.com. I posted the pictures over there and most didn't think the chipping was that big of a deal. They were more concerned about the chips on the tile around the skimmer, where the tile was cut.

I don't think you are being to picky at all. This is an extension of you home. You wouldn't leave tile like that in your bathroom. I would want it fixed. And I love the tile. Great colors!

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.