Need help balancing water for daughter's birthday party in 2 days

How do you recommend adding chemicals? Family Leisure's pool school said all liquids go into the pool, all granular goes into the skimmer basket. If granular was added into the pool directly it could sink and damage the liner. Not true?

- - - Updated - - -

Liquid chlorine has been added, poured slowly over the return feed in the pool.

Click PoolMath at the top. Scroll down to the bottom to "Estimating Pool Volume." Select "Round" and enter 24' wide and 4.08' (49"/12) deep. That should give you a reasonable estimate of your pool's volume.

My water is 5 inches from the top of the wall so 49" deep. Can someone give me a better total number of gallons from that?

Ok. It doesn't look like your pH is budging. This is probably due to the Borates in that bucket of opening chemicals they gave you. With Borates, pH changes take larger quantities of chemicals.

If we use a 13,000 gallon estimate, pH 6.8 and a TA of 120, even without Borates, you'll need almost 6lbs of Sodium Carbonate (PH+ / Soda Ash / Washing Soda) to move your pH from 6.8 to 7.6.

I would add 3 pounds more, let circulate, then retest.

Hello jhuehne, we are really glad you've come to us for help you with your pool issues,

I've been following along with this thread the entire time, and I've seen a lot of knowledgeable folks giving you some awesome information. Jason, AKA jblizzle is an awesome teacher isn't he? He's always there willing to help teach those in need.

The main thing to remember is in order for the information being taught to work, it must be followed exactly, regardless of what any other site, pool store, neighbor, etc. may have said, or done.

If you try to incorporate 2 completely different methods at the same time, that will leave you not only really confused, but also left wondering why things didn't work out as you'd hoped. So just pick 1 method only, stick with it, and things will be a lot less complicated, and confusing. (But remember some work, and some don't).

I can without a doubt promise you the method TFP is teaching does in fact Work, and works very well.

To answer your questions about the granular being added to the pool directly causing damage to the liner. As far as powdered chlorines, they dissolve slowly, and YES they can in fact cause damage if allowed to sit on the bottom of the pool for an extended period of time, but with the TFP method we do NOT recommend using powdered chlorine products anyway, so that solves that issue, but should you have to use powdered chlorine in an emergency you need to completely dissolve it in a bucket of water 1st before adding it to your pool.

Dry chemicals like pH up, pH down, Alk Up, Alk down, Baking soda, soda ash, etc. all dissolve quickly, so you don't have to worry about them sitting there on the bottom like powdered chlorine would.

(The CYA we tell you to put it in a sock and hang it front of the return because although it dissolves quickly, it takes a little longer than the other dry chemicals, so hanging it in a sock allows it to dissolve while not sitting on the bottom of the pool, and the force of the returning water helps to quickly distribute it throughout your pool water).

If, however, you add the dry chemicals into the skimmer instead of the pool, they take longer to work, they get removed with backwash water, they can get trapped in the filter, and you may not get the recommended increase, or decrease in levels that was anticipated. You then end up adding more to get the effect you need, BUT then what was trapped in the filter can be released later, and you end up with too high, or too low levels which causes you even more issues.

That is why here at TFP we also teach everyone to be sure, and always BRUSH/SWEEP the area around where you add any liquid, or dry chemicals into the pool.

(LIQUID CHLORINE included, so if you didn't brush the floor and walls of the pool in the area you poured the liquid chlorine, (as Joyful Noise also suggested in comment #38 of this thread), after you added chlorine earlier, you might want to go, and brush that area now.

Brush the area you add the liquid or dry chemicals, every time you add them. Brushing helps it to dissolve quicker, and helps to circulate the chemicals, this helps mix it in quicker, But it also prevents and decreases any risk of the chemicals remaining on the bottom of the pool too.

As far as any other Pool Schools are concerned, we only teach Trouble Free Pool School methods here. I have no idea what methods the other places teach, but apparently their methods aren't working, or your pool would have already been clear for the party tomorrow, and our awesome members wouldn't be trying to help straighten out the mess that the other place, or whoever, caused for you, and for your pool.

We are all really glad you found this site, and I do believe you'll be very pleased with the method we teach because They Really Work.

I hope the time today that has been spent teaching, and helping you, also helps to ensure your beautiful daughter has a very Happy Birthday, and an awesome pool party tomorrow.

I promise you if you decide to continue to use TFP's method, and ONLY TFP's method of pool care, you will Not be disappointed.

Have a wonderful night, and please tell your daughter the people at TFP says, Happy Birthday :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate it. I just added another 3lbs of HTH ph plus. I used a bucket and disolved it as much as I could with stir stick before putting it back into the pool. I poured the mixed liquid over the return jet then rinsed the bucket in that area as well. It's already dark here so I can't see much but I will check in the morning.

Let me know what you would like me to test or report. Our party doesn't start until noon central so swimming will be after 1pm most likely assuming the pool is ok by then.

I'm still learning so bear with me.

Thanks for all the help.

I think you have done what you can today. :goodjob:

In the morning check the pH and chlorine. If the chlorine drops below the max of your test, add half a gallon. Then let the chlorine drift down until the party.

Keep adding pH up until the pH is in the 7s ... Test 30 minutes after you add it.

You are doing great jhuehne. :)

Yes Piolin, it is "great post" I've been following it since yesterday, and a lot of people have been dishing out some awesome information. Jason has been doing most of the teaching on this post, and doing everything he can to try to ensure jhuehne's daughter gets to have her pool party tomorrow. LOL Poor jhehne is probably into information overload right now lol. Yelp, I imagine both of them are exhausted. I've been here in the background the entire time, and can say I'm very proud of both of them. They've both worked hard tonight, and did an awesome job.

Really, forget about TA, at least in the short term. I think the Permasalt instructions, and your previous troubles with chasing TA and pH up and down and up and down have gotten you much too focused on fiddling with TA.

You could bring pH up a bit more, for swimmer comfort (some people complain of burning eyes at 7.2, but many find it OK). Chlorine should be bumped up a bit in anticipation of high swimmer load. You can check PoolMath to see how much pH Up product to add to go up to 7.4. I would add enough chlorine (liquid) to go up to 6 or 7 ppm now (use PoolMath to figure out how much to add).

Your numbers, as they are, do not look bad. How does the water look?

Looking at PoolMath, for a 13000 gallon pool, I get 19 oz. (volume) soda ash to go from pH 7.2 to 7.4. If you happen to have borax (the 20 mule team stuff) in the house for laundry, you could add some of that instead, as it will raise pH without affecting TA much. If you use borax, the quantity added would be larger (see PoolMath). If you don't have borax, just use the pH Up stuff you already have.

To go from 3 to 6 ppm on chlorine, you'll need about 6 cups of the 10% liquid you have. That's pretty similar to the half gallon (8 cups) I remember jblizzle recommending in an earlier post - I'm just trying to reassure you that the advice you're getting here is pretty consistent, as everyone is following the same scientifically based guidelines.

As soon as you have time to read more, and I certainly understand you don't have much time right now, a few hours before the party, all this information will start falling into place for you.

I agree with siningpond that the numbers "do not look bad." They certainly look a lot better than yesterday which will be a lot safer, cleaner, and comfortable for those kiddos in there swimming.

As far as the liquid Bleach to raise your FC level to 6-7 as singingpond suggested, by using Pool Math, you'll need to add a little less than 2 quarts, which is equal to just a little less than a 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine.

To raise your pH from your current level of 7.2 up to 7.4 you'll need about a pound of pH up with you numbers being already in a safe zone, but you'll still want to raise the pH slightly for comfort of the swimmers-as singingpond also mentioned. So adding another pound of the PH UP that you added last night to raise the pH should increase it enough to make it much more comfortable for the swimmers. Also don't forget to be sure and BRUSH/Sweep those areas where you added the chemicals to help mix it.

Well, It looks like you are going to have everything safely balanced for the kiddy swim party :). WHooo Hoooo. Just add those couple of things above, check your levels in 30 mins to an hour to verify, and the pool should be good to go!!! Have a wonderful day.

To RECAP

1)Add a little less than 1/2 gallon of Liquid chlorine. If you happen to pour in a entire 1/2 gallon it will be fine.

2) Add a POUND of the same pH up you added last night which if I remember correctly was HTH brand,

3) Recheck FC and pH levels 30mins to an hour after adding above amounts of chemicals. Be sure and Brush the pool after. Let us know IF the FC is Not between 6-7ppm, or if the pH isn't right at 7.4. Hopefully this will get you there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.