Blue Wave Pool Stairs ALGAE Issues

Hello,

We purchased the Blue Wave Pool Stairs two years ago and I suspect they are the culprit when it comes to my ongoing algae issues. I test daily with a Taylor test kit, shock regularly, keep my chlorine well above recommended levels (based on my CYA using the Pool Math calculator), use a good algaecide, brush the walls and floor, and have tried using a power wash hose connection to spray behind the ladder. We also drilled multiple holes in the ladder before this season trying to improve circulation.

Despite these efforts, I continued to find algae on the stairs and around the pool on a regular basis. I suspect the the sand inside the ladder constantly harbors algae and is the source of the problem - but what can you do about that? We pulled the ladder out a couple days ago and found tons of algae on the backside of it and dark green water flowed from the inside. (see pic) :scratch::scratch:

You can't drill holes in the sides where the sand resides, or the sand would come out. Any suggestions for how to handle this? I am about to ask for a refund. I have contacted the company on multiple occasions and they do not have any useful suggestions. I wanted the stairs instead of a ladder in case one of our dogs got in the pool (labs - they kind of love the pool).

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
Kelly ok, not sure if pic uploaded... imagine lots of algae covering back of previously white pool stairs
CYA 35, Free Cl stays between 6-12, pH 7.4
pool stairs algae.jpg

The only thing I can think of is to take them out and spray them down with bleach/water solution quite a few times over several days, or however long you can go without them, and brush with a stiff nylon brush. To kill all the algae spores, even what you can't see.

We sold our beloved wedding cake style steps for that very reason. NOTHING I did could keep the algae away. There just was not enough circulation around or inside :(

What you can try is this......................

-fill some chlorine bottles with concrete all the way to the top.

-zip tie the bottles to the inside of the steps (the zip ties are so you can cut them when you want to take them out to clean again)

-Take all of the sand out and seal that area with pool/chlorine safe stuff-chalking or such

You will need to take them out and clean them GOOD!k

You might need to do a clean about once a month. You will need to see what happens after you get them clean.

We tried using a turkey baster to squirt bleach inside them. I put a floater and put a pick in it and inside the steps. Nothing worked long term.

Kim

Thank you for your ideas. I figured the sand would have to go in order to have a chance to make this work. We took them out for now and are using the ladder the pool came with - not my favorite option because the dogs would have a difficult time getting out if they happened to cross the electrified area and jump in. If my dear husband is willing to help me, we will try dumping out the sand and getting creative. He is an engineer, so if I can sell him on how happy it would make me (happy wife, happy life)... I think we can make it work. :tongue:

Kelly

I went the other way completely.. I sealed every hole in the ladder except 4, 2 on each side.. 1 in the top and 1 in the bottom..

Filled with water from the pool as much as we could then sealed those 4 holes with Tear-aid vinyl patch.. it works under water and sealed the holes :) It still really wants to float and I may need to add more weight than I planned.. I have 40 pounds of plastic bottles filled with rock and bleach and sealed with silicone, we will see today :)

You could try getting one of those critter ramps for your dogs. If you do a Google search for critter ramp you should be able to find what one looks like

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I went the other way completely.. I sealed every hole in the ladder except 4, 2 on each side.. 1 in the top and 1 in the bottom..

Filled with water from the pool as much as we could then sealed those 4 holes with Tear-aid vinyl patch.. it works under water and sealed the holes :) It still really wants to float and I may need to add more weight than I planned.. I have 40 pounds of plastic bottles filled with rock and bleach and sealed with silicone, we will see today :)

Well, any improvement?? I have these (not in the pool yet) so was wanting some guidance!! Thanks

So far no green things growing.. I have the stairs in the pool but have not been able to build the deck yet to attach them to.. Still working on the weights to keep them down also

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.