PVC Question

jrv331

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
In looking at some of the pictures of your guys setup I see that some are plumbed with ABS and others have DWV elbows. If these items are not made for pressure why would one use them?
Thanks
John

John,

I think schedule 40 pvc is tested @ 200+psi.

While DWV is not tested, I have used it occaisionally for the 15-20psi pressure we have on almost all pools. For me, it was a matter of convenience. Some like the 90 degree sweeps that you can get with DWV.

In short, DWV is fine for the low pressures we encounter in pools.......I doubt a manufacturere would say that but practical experience has shown me it's okay.

I don't recall noticing any ABS other than in the molded parts like skimmers and pumps and valves.

Thanks for the help. In the 8 yrs I have had my pool I dont remember my filter ever going over 15 psi and with the pump on low its normally in the 3-5 range. I know that's not true psi but a place to start. This will be my first year with hard plumbing and Id rather use the DWV elbows than two 45's(trying to cut down on head where I can)
thanks
John

jrv331 said:
In looking at some of the pictures of your guys setup I see that some are plumbed with ABS and others have DWV elbows. If these items are not made for pressure why would one use them?
Thanks
John

The 2 reasons I can think of off hand are:

1) Ignorance :hammer: whoever put the fitting on didn't realize it was a non-pressure fitting

2) That's all they could find at the local hardware store, sometimes you've just gotta use what's available :|

Have you thought about up-sizing the pipe to reduce head? 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.