Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Question

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Question

In looking at some of the pictures of your guys setup I see that some are plumbed with ABS and others have DWV elbows. If these items are not made for pressure why would one use them?
    Thanks
    John
    24' AG, Jacuzzi CRF 750 Filter, Magnatek 1.5 HP 2 sp pump
    BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PVC Question

John,

I think schedule 40 pvc is tested @ 200+psi.

While DWV is not tested, I have used it occaisionally for the 15-20psi pressure we have on almost all pools. For me, it was a matter of convenience. Some like the 90 degree sweeps that you can get with DWV.

In short, DWV is fine for the low pressures we encounter in pools.......I doubt a manufacturere would say that but practical experience has shown me it's okay.

I don't recall noticing any ABS other than in the molded parts like skimmers and pumps and valves.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help. In the 8 yrs I have had my pool I dont remember my filter ever going over 15 psi and with the pump on low its normally in the 3-5 range. I know that's not true psi but a place to start. This will be my first year with hard plumbing and Id rather use the DWV elbows than two 45's(trying to cut down on head where I can)
    thanks
    John
    24' AG, Jacuzzi CRF 750 Filter, Magnatek 1.5 HP 2 sp pump
    BBB Method

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jrv331
    In looking at some of the pictures of your guys setup I see that some are plumbed with ABS and others have DWV elbows. If these items are not made for pressure why would one use them?
    Thanks
    John
    The 2 reasons I can think of off hand are:

1) Ignorance whoever put the fitting on didn't realize it was a non-pressure fitting

2) That's all they could find at the local hardware store, sometimes you've just gotta use what's available

Have you thought about up-sizing the pipe to reduce head? 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)