Slamming my green pool

Barb55

Aug 10, 2015
Fairfield, Illinois
Hello, I am a newbie and second year pool owner. I have tried the chemicals and still have green pool problems, so I thought I would try Trouble Free Pools. I received my TF-100 test kit today ( Thanks You Rebecca!) and found my PH to be high (which I lowered with muriatic acid to 7.5) and my FC to be 0. My guess is this is why my pool is green. I used the calculator and determined my shock/slam level should be 16 and added 484 oz. of 7.86% bleach at 2:00 p.m. My understanding is that I should check my FC level at least twice a day. My main question is do I adjust the slam level of bleach if my chlorine level changes (gets better) or do I stick with the 16 FC slam level until I have completed the slam. I would appreciate any advice but please don't make it too complicated lol Thank you

Stick to the slam level until the slam is done. I like to go just above slam so that it never goes under, then the algae has a gain on you.

You determined your slam level by your CYA level yes? (cya test tube at waist level and your back to full sun?)

What is your CYA level? I assume you know that and that is how you found your SLAM level.

You stick to your 16 FC SLAM level until your pool is clear and your CCs are zero (could be 0.5) and you no longer are losing FC overnight (no more than 1 ppm).

That is 3 things...make sure all of them are met...not just 2 of them...all 3. :)

Oh, Welcome to TFP!!! :D

Hello Barb, and Welcome to TFP,

It sounds like you are on the right track, you already have the right test kit to get started slamming, and I can assure you you've come to the right place :)

If you will please give us your full set of levels, we can better assist you. in getting your green pool cleaned up.

FC-
CC-
pH-
TA-
CH-
CYA-

Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

Thanks so much for your responses! My FC was zero; CYA was 40; PH was over 8.5 but I got it down to 7.5 before I started the slam with muriatic acid. I couldn't really get my TA after 30 drops and I think it was because I was "swirling" with a metal spoon. My pool never gets any shade, it is in an open area. Should I check my chlorine level and add more bleach tonight or let it be till in the morning?

Thank you Barb. If you don't mind on your future levels posts please list them in a downward fashion like below because they are easier to read, and we don't want to miss anything.

All you'll need to test and post for awhile NOW that the slam has started will be the FC and CC levels. :)
FC-
CC-
pH-
TA-
CH-
CYA-

It is not necessary to use a spoon on any of the samples during swirling, (I'm not sure if the metal on the spoon will alter any of the results or not so I wouldn't recommend using it, just a little wrist action will get ya there :).

If it's difficult for you to swirl with your wrist like it is for me because I have carpal tunnel, TFTestkits also has a handy little piece of equipment called a Speedstir that you might want to someday consider getting because in keeps you from ever swirling a sample again :) http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magnetic-Stirrer-p56.html

You did an awesome job on the Chlorine/CYA level, and using Pool math for you calculations. Pat yourself on the back :

AT 1st you need to check it every hour or as often as possible and raise your level back up making sure it Stays at least 16ppm without dropping below that. You also don't want to get way higher either though so try to stay within the 16-18ppm range.

To answer your question: Yes, please check you level now, and adjust it accordingly. Then recheck in the am, and as often as possible preferably hourly at 1st, and adjust accordingly. If you know you are going to be away from your pool unable to check for several highs you'll need to raise the rate to compensate for the less adds so you Always maintain, and never drop below that Slam/Shock level.

Since your Chlorine will now be above 10 there is no need to check your pH anymore until after the slam is completed so save your reagents on that until after. Your main focus now needs to be

Checking chlorine level hourly if possible, raising FC level a little more when not,

Adding Chlorine as indicated

Frequent Brushing and Vacuuming

It won't take long till your pool is clear again :)

I hope this helps answer your questions.

We are all here to help you, so feel free to ask any questions you might have. Have a wonderful Night. :)

- - - Updated - - -

She added 484 oz. of 7.86% bleach at 2:00 p.m :)

Thank you all so much. I just did my first Chlorine Drop Test since the reg. chlorine test showed bright yellow. The drop test took 36 drops to bring the pink water back to clear so this tells me I am at approx. 18 ppm FC. I am assuming this means don't add anymore bleach tonight (it is 6:41 p.m.) and check it again in the morning. Hope I am correct but please let me know if I am not, it would be greatly appreciated. If my regular chlorine test shows bright yellow once again in the morning, I will have to do another drop test correct?

Hi Barb,

Bright yellow? Are you referring to an OTO test? If so, you don't have to check with 2 tests at all there's no reason to do that. Since you've got the TF-100 just use that when you need to check, and I would suggest checking it tonight, and in the morning. Also be sure you are using the 10ml mark on any tests you can, instead of the 25ml because it uses less reagents too. You can also get away with 1 scoop of powder instead of 2 as long as it turns pink, it will be accurate, and that will save reagents too. (of course any question on it recheck with 2 scoops, but I used 1 a lot, and all mine were fine).

Being 18ppm actually it means you need to Maintain that, and not drop below 16ppm for the night.
When you have algae it can eat through the chlorine fairly rapidly sometimes, especially at the beginning of your SLAM. So with your Slam just starting out you don't want to drop below 16ppm. Tonight with there being no sun you'll lose less, than you would if it was daytime, but will still lose some. Possible 2-4ppm drop overnight depending on what's in there.

Thankfully, the chlorine loss will get less, and less, as more, and more algae is killed off, so you'll need to compensate less as time goes on.

If it were me, lol because I'm a worry wart, and like to be better safe than sorry. If I decided not to check it tonight, I would at least add about a 1/2 gallon, or so, of chlorine before turning in tonight just to be on the safe side, at least, until you can determine approx. how much you will be losing for sure. A half gallon isn't going to hurt it a bit either way, and may be the difference in being at 16ppm in the morning, and 15.5ppm in the morning.

Hopefully it will hold, and it will be 18ppm in the morning but with it being green it's going to take a few night I think to get the levels holding well. If it does hold, that's great, and that's just another 1/2 gallon of cleaning accomplished overnight LOL whoo hoo. :). But anyway, the decision is yours on that.

I am disabled, and was only able to physically do checks/add chlorine every 3-4 hours, so I had to run my levels slightly higher than most people, but at least I never had to worry about falling below SLAM/Shock level, and my pool is now crystal clear.

Have a wonderful night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning
I have been working my slam since Friday evening, the pool is not neon green anymore but more of a very cloudy bluish color. I ran some numbers today besides just the fc test and thought I would post and take some suggestions. I am keeping my FC at 16 as per slam. My CYA is running 45 to 55 (I am not real good at this test yet) and my TA is 240. My PH registers at least 8.5. I know the most important number is the FC but I was wondering if I should add some muriatic acid to help with the cloudiness so I can try my new vac or should I just continue as is. I am brushing real good everyday since I can't see the vac in the water so don't know if it is actually on the bottom of the pool lol. Thanks for any suggestions.

No acid right now. Acid works on lowering pH and TA, but your pH is not accurate during a SLAM so just ignore the high pH. Continue to maintain that SLAM FC level for now and keep sweeping and cleaning the filter periodically. I didn't read your whole thread, but has anyone already asked ... do you fill from a well?

Yes CYA test can be difficult sometimes. If your CYA is in fact closer to the 55 then you need to be running your FC at 20 instead of 16ppm. When testing CYA you can pour it back and forth several times, or have someone else look for the dot too if unsure. So, If possible try to pin point the CYA # within 5 instead of 10 and that way you'll have a better idea of where your FC actually needs to be.

PH will not be accurate when your FC is greater than 10ppm so no need to check it until after the SLAM is done. Please DO Not adjust pH until slam is complete because the reading is not accurate now.

Just continue to brush/vac often, and try to get a closer ballpark figure on your current CYA level. It could be the CYA is closer to the 55 and if so the extra FC you'll be adding then will help the cloudiness. Once you figure out the CYA then the only tests you'll need to check will be FC and CC till the slam is complete.

I hope this helps and have a wonderful day.

That's okay. If your water is still green or obviously cloudy, you don't need to check anything other than FC regularly while you do a SLAM. Once the water starts to clear and you think you may be getting close, then you can check the CC (combined chlorine) level. That should help you save on reagents. :)

Just check the CC when your supplies arrive. By your numbers it looks like you are testing at 10ml of water now which is good. I don't know if anyone mentioned that you can use a 5ml sample of water, not quite as accurate as 10ml, but close, and each drop of 0871 counts as 1ppm, to help save on reagents till yours arrive. I hope this helps.

Filled from well - check! That is very important to know because the metal in well water can have an effect on the water (shades of green, etc) at times. Since you are actively doing a SLAM, please continue. When you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria, let us know. At that time we will give you some more guidance on metals in water as needed. I just don't to overload you with too much info. :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.