Using Filter Pump to Lower Water Level

I discovered shopping locally, kinda, if you stretch a point and allow big box stores as "local." I bought at Lowes a Utilitech 1/3HP pump, figuring the return policy is better than the 30 days Amazon allows, and I get to heft the thing to help determine how much plastic's inside. Feels pretty heavy.

Well, it works to my needs, though nowhere close to the 24 gallons per minute specified on the box. (Wouldn't it be nice if these numbers actually meant something?) I used it to remove enough water to lower my CYA to 50 ppm, and while doing so measured the flow at 6.4 gal/minute through the garden hose (adapter included), and that's about the rate I was looking for, so, so far, so good.

I discovered shopping locally, kinda, if you stretch a point and allow big box stores as "local." I bought at Lowes a Utilitech 1/3HP pump, figuring the return policy is better than the 30 days Amazon allows, and I get to heft the thing to help determine how much plastic's inside. Feels pretty heavy.

Well, it works to my needs, though nowhere close to the 24 gallons per minute specified on the box. (Wouldn't it be nice if these numbers actually meant something?) I used it to remove enough water to lower my CYA to 50 ppm, and while doing so measured the flow at 6.4 gal/minute through the garden hose (adapter included), and that's about the rate I was looking for, so, so far, so good.

The 24 gal/min is probably at outlet level with no hose or adapter. Basically if you let it spray water all over itself, you may get 24 gallons. Mine is 1/5hp and rated somewhere in the mid-high teens. Realistically it pumps 5 gal/min through a 50ft 1/2 hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.