Windows 10... anyone tried it yet?

JVTrain

TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
Just thought I'd ask all the pool-enlightened folks if they had installed the Windows 10 update. I have been putting it off because I'm a little worried about compatibility of some applications and games on the PC. Maybe wait another month or so and get the upgrade...

I installed it at work and used it for about two weeks before reverting back to win7 just now.

both upgrading and uninstalling was simple.

I had some apps that didn't work well in 10 and one usb3 card that a driver wouldn't load.

Its even more difficult to find control panel items for changing settings in 10

You can turn off all the snooping microsoft does in 10 but you cannot disable updates.

I upgraded to 10, then found my DynaDock driver only partially worked; 2nd monitor good, extra USBs good, Ethernet not detected.
So after a bunch of to and fro I backed it out.
Guess I'll wait til Toshiba get a completely functional driver out there.

Hello,

I have Not installed Windows 10, but did read an article awhile back about bugs in the trial system, that they were trying to repair, and some issues, especially switching from version 7 to version 10 being seen especially in people using Mozilla Thunderbird OS.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-10-UI-Glitch-Brings-Back-Vista-Windows-Buttons-463413.shtml

Then when the actually version came out, Windows said the trial run bugs were resolved, but they are still receiving user calls, and aren't exactly sure why the problems are still occurring. That info is under UPDATE at the bottom of this article.
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-issues-fix-windows-10-164044922.html

It seems anytime a new version comes out there are problems that need to be resolved in it. LOL that's why I'm always a year or more behind everyone else on switching versions because I just kick back, and allow them to work out all the issues before I switch.

Hopefully, it will be a good version for those who switch to it, and hopefully they can get any issues resolved quickly.

I've been running the insiders version for about 6 months. When I tried to go to the release my video wasn't recognized. Back to insider edition. I like it so far. It was much faster on my pos laptop from like 2 years ago Walmart black Friday special than win 7 was.

I haven't found any particular need to make th move yet. At work we still use Win7 and at home I have Win8.1. Both are pretty rock solid and 10 offers no significant improvements that I"m looking for. Upgrading at home would simply mean resetting up all the work access I need as well since I have things set up so that I can function at home 100% of the way I function in the office.

How did you revert back to 7? I upgraded about a week ago, and my sound card isn't supported. I contacted ASUS, the sound card manufacturer, and they don't have a driver for 10 yet. They said try downloading the 8.1 driver, and maybe it will work. I can't get it to download for some reason. If I can't get it to download and install soon, I may try reverting to 7. I use my TV as a monitor, and the video card has the proper sound driver, so I still have sound, just not through my receiver via the sound card.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a year until the promotion expires, so I recommend you wait a few months until the worst of the bugs are worked out. It's not all that great for those of us who don't want to integrate with everyone who want to integrate with you, not to mention a constant stream of information you may not care about.

But if you do, here's a handy link to retain some privacy:

Fix Windows 10 privacy

I have been running 10 for awhile now. First the insider previews now the retail releases. I've done installs on well over 30 pc's and the only real issues that Microsoft hasn't fixed fairly quickly with updates has been with Alienware laptops and that has been driver issues not windows 10 issues. This is just like when 7 came out. Many hated it, but now couldn't imagine a time without it.

If anyone needs help post here and I will try to help or get the answers to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.