Salt water test kit

Jul 15, 2015
shelter island,ny
Hello

I am taking over maintenance of my in-ground 37000 gallon salt water pool with a chlorine generator. I intend on following this site's instructions and the first recommendation is to determine my salinity level and adjust it to be slightly over what is recommended by the generator's manufacturer. My issue is I have been able to find solid recommended test kits on this site but have not been able to locate the ideal salinity tester. Does anyone have a recommendation? Test strips vs drops?

Thank you

Thank you. I just ordered one online.

Which comprehensive test kit would you recommend out of the five listed on this site

1 TFTestkits TF-50
2 Taylor K-2006 /Leslie's 81329
3 TFTestkits TF-100
4 Taylor K-2006C
5 LaMotte 7022

It states this for #4&5...The 2006C and LaMotte are geared towards VERY frequent testing (commercial) and contain more reagent than you will probably need, but you should consider them if you REALLY like to test a lot.

also

Only the TF-100 contains the very handy OTO chlorine test.

Is this needed?

Thanks again.

I'd go for the TF-100

You won't need the OTO chlorine test, but the other half of that is the PH test and you do want that.

I've used it for a year now and only needed more reagent refills for the chlorine fas-dpd tests.

Most use the TF-100 as it has reagents stocked in quantities for the tests that you perform the most. The K-2006 is fine too. Add on a SpeedStir and you'll be happy. If you've never done pool testing before, you might find yourself doing a lot of testing in the beginning to "learn" your pool waters behavior. So a TF100 is a good buy.

As for OTO, I never found it to be very accurate or useful. I prefer the DPD test kit, like the K-1001. Others swear by OTO. So it's a bit subjective. OTO or DPD are really just quick daily tests that you do to make sure chlorine is present and you're in the ballpark of where the FC should be. Accurate values only come from using the DPD-FAS tests found in the TF-100 or K-2006.

It's all Taylor reagents anyway, so you really can't go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedStir...seriously...totally worth it. I'll admit to it appearing gimmicky to me at first but now I find it almost as important as the TF-100 kit. I even made room in my TF-100 kit to store it and I take it out nightly to polish it. LOL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.