LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
is that normal? i am hoping this helps to keep the system running better but i don't want to put additional strain on the filter and pump.

thanks!

oops, i guess i need to move it.

i thought the idea was to put it around the pump basket/skimmer because its notorious for getting tiny little pebbles embedded in the screen. i took it out and cleaned it 100% today before i put the sock on it.

i thought the point was to prevent small pebbles from vacuuming making it into the impeller.

so i should move it from the pump basket to the pool?

Do you have a bottom drain?

If all you have is a skimmer and no bottom drain, then what is the difference between the skimmer and the pump basket?
If you have a bottom drain and a skimmer, then if you put the sock in the skimmer and it plugs up, the water can still go through the bottom drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have both.

skimmer catches most debris..until i plug the vac in. To do that I remove the skimmer basket completely, plug the hose into the hole underneath where the skimmer was and divert the pressure from the bottom drain to the skimmer so the vac has enough pressure to pick up the small rocks that always seem to get into the pool.

the bottom drain i crank up during the slam to help pull out debris/algae i stir up on the bottom of the pool.

i have to open the pump drain each time i vac (if there's alot of debris) because everything gets sucked right into that 'backup' skimmer.

I have a polaris fitting on the side of the pool but the pool guy said it was never set up.

My skimmer is a little different. I leave the basket in while I'm vacuuming. But I'm inground. So, here's my suggestion for you. Sock in pump basket only while vacuuming. Then back to skimmer for normal use.

You might want to add the bottom drain to your sig???

I would think the sock in the pump basket is a accident waiting to happen. if your concerned about stuff getting to/thru the pump while you Vac, you can get a leaf catcher inline and put the sock/strainer in that

Edit, Dam Cinic, your fast ;-)

I misunderstood your post at first. I wouldn't put a sock on the pump basket. I put mine on the skimmer basket and in the leaf bag of my Polaris. Doing that means I haven't had to vacuum even once this season and my pump pressure has never gone up over its clean pressure. I pump to waste when we have heavy rain, but I haven't had to backwash since last year. Skimmer socks rock.

I have an AG too, and I vacuum through the skimmer basket using a Skim-Vac plate over top of the skimmer basket, not the pump basket.

Here is an article I wrote about the benefits of using a knee high panty hose which is the exact same concept of using a skimmer sock, etc. in the Skimmer basket to help clean your pool. (A knee high, skimmer sock, hair net, etc. all of which were mentioned as suggestions in the comments of the article will accomplish the same goal). But I tend to agree with the others that placing anything that could become blocked, or dislodged in the pump basket is IMO taking a very high risk of tearing up your pump. Anyway here is the article if you'd like to read it, and I'd recommend moving your "skimmer sock" back up to the skimmer basket. I hope this helps, and have a nice day.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...nter-hunting-trip-anymore?p=884905#post884905

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.