The Pool is all clean, now we need to be able to safely get in/out of it. Thoughts?

Crackerjack4u

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 17, 2015
Kentucky
Hello All,

I just finished Slamming my gross, 3 yr uncovered, and completely neglected pool. 19 days, and 76 gallons of 10% liquid shock later, it is finally swim ready, and so are we.

Here is my dilemma.
My husband and I are both disabled. I have a history of falls, A Lot of medical issues, plus right now I'm battling massively swollen legs, and feet. My hubby has a steel plate in his neck, bone grafts in his neck and back, and he is going blind from his diabetes. So being high risk for falls is definitely a factor for both of us. His doctor told my hubby just last week that he needs to get into a pool, and do some low impact water exercises, and I informed the doctor that our pool would soon be ready for him to do that.

But, right now the only way we have to get in, and out of the pool is by using an unattached A-Frame ladder that came with the pool which is very difficult for both of us to use because the steps are way too narrow, plus it's not attached so it is really unsteady. I've used them a few times to get in, and out to patch some holes during the Slam, and I actually used them today to get in the pool for a bit, but they are pretty rickety to use, and I'm not sure that my hubby with his vision problems can see well enough to hit the steps, let alone step over the top platform part to the step on the opposite side?

Knowing we could not use them without risking falls, I previously bought a new set of Confer 1 Steps for the inside of the pool that are now put together, and ready to go into the pool. But we have no deck to connect those to, but I had a plan to remedy this, but the plan isn't going as well as I'd hoped at the moment.

For the outside of the pool we purchased the wide fiberglass mobile home steps a couple of years ago that someone was selling, and assumed they would work well for us.

Our issue comes in because the mobile home steps are right at 17" too short to reach the top of the pool. My plan was to put the Confer steps inside the pool, and connect the attachment brackets to the mobile home steps, but lol I have to get the mobile home steps up 17" to do that. (I'm not even sure with them being fiberglass if the confer steps would hold adequately to them anyway, but if they wouldn't I'd planned to use 2x4s to make a wooden frame to attach them to.

Do you all think the confer steps can be adequately attached to the fiberglass steps?

My plan when I bought the Confer, and mobile home steps was to hire someone to build a 17" platform out of wood to put the steps on, but my hubby said that was a stupid idea as the wood would rot in a year, and we'd be paying someone to build another platform again next year. (I personally wouldn't think if treated lumber was used that they'd rot any quicker than a deck would, but lol apparently he does). I also thought perhaps wooden pallets may work, and I can get those for free?

My hubby said we need to just block the 4 corners of the mobile home steps with concrete blocks to get them up to the top of the pool. Well, I'm not sure that's the safest idea to raise them on just 4 corners up 17" because those steps are big, and they are heavy. Plus we have a lot of BIG Friends who will be coming to swim too.

LOL I can see one side of the blocks stacked up to 17" sliding out from under a corner, not only dropping the mobile home steps down on one side while someone is on them at the time, but also the mobile home steps then yanking the soon to be attached confer steps through the pool wall, as well.
That plan sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me. What do you think?

I've thought of possibly buying a concrete slab, or having one poured that will make up the 17" difference, or if I have to just buying a 2nd set of confer steps for the outside too, and just doing away with the mobile home steps all together (but since we already bought the mobile home steps, and we're on a very limited income, I really don't want to have to purchase another set of steps, if it can be avoided).

I've also considered instead of raising the steps at all, merely leaving the steps on the ground because they are so big and heavy, and somehow trying to build a 17" wooden deck like step thing above it that can be removed, and stored somehow during the offseason. But I'm not sure that would even be possible to do either?

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best, safest, and most cost effective, way to solve this issue.

Any thoughts on what would be the best solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and have a wonderful night :)

Note: They make wood that's intended for direct ground contact. Lasts for years.

Idea #1: When I first started reading your post, I thought, get some concrete pavers, the cheap ones, lay them down flat to make a simple pad. Then, build up a box to get the extra height you need. It will need to have a step incorporated into it cuz 17" and trouble with walking and balance don't seem like a good combo. [ I did a similar thing for my doggy steps. most of our beds are real tall and I was afraid the dogs would get hurt jumping down. So we bought those steps like you see on tv, but they weren't tall enough. I built a platform with a few more steps and then added the preformed ones on top.]

Idea #2: Concrete blocks would work also, they make construction adhesive that lets you glue them together. No risk of slippage that way.

Idea #3: Retaining wall block would work and make a nice looking addition of done right.

Thank you pabeader for your thoughts. That was my thought on the wood too. I'm glad to know that several of the other things would probably work safely too.

Thank you Cowboy for your input- Yes, those are the steps I bought. I got those because they were fairly reasonably priced, looked nice, plus the weight limit on them was higher than most. Like I said, we have some very "Big" friends that we enjoy their company, and would prefer they didn't fall from steps being too weak to hold them.

Cowboy-I've got a question? Not to sound totally moronic. LOL a builder I am Not, I bet you hadn't guessed that. So to clarify, if the method you suggest is used how exactly would the 2x12's be affixed? Should they be screwed down to actual railing of the pool, brought from the ground up where part is buried in the ground to hold it them stead like a deck would be? or will the 2x12 actually remain unattached with the 2 sets of steps screwed to it, and the 2 sets of steps pulling against each other will keep them both in place?

Thank you both for your input and suggestions. Have a wonderful day :).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.