am I going to have to replace my pump?

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I went out to backwash this morning and everything went as usual until I turned the pump off and switched to rinse. When I turned the pump back on, the motor made a mrrrrrr (or whiring sound) and did not rinse. I turned it off and went back to backwash and same thing. I quickly turned it off and the pump was hot to the touch. Is my motor burnt up? It's a Hayward II Super Pump 3/4 HP. Do you think this is going to have to replaced?

I'm so bummed. My pool is looking great and my water balance was perfect yesterday! I've sent an email to the landlord and hopefully he'll get someone over here to look at it soon. Is there anything I need to do in the meantime?

If the shaft of the motor spins freely by hand you might be able to get away with replacing the capacitor(s). They're black cylinders, about the size of D-cell batteries, and are housed either under the back plate where your wires connect or under a bulging plate on the side of the motor. If you have a pic handy I'll point them out for you.

Thanks guys. I talked to my landlord and he said he would call the pool guy out to fix it today. I went out to check on it this morning and it started working. Maybe it will hold up for a while longer. Looks like we're going to be moving before too much longer....UGGG...hope we can find a house with a pool. (We'll be buying next time)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.