Sand filter, did I goof up???

Jul 16, 2012
Over the last week I have been so dang busy I neglected my pool a little bit resulting in my pool getting just ever so slightly cloudy. So with that I new a good backflush was in order, upon backflushing I noticed the flow out my backflush line was a bit on the weak side. I have had this issue in the past and it typically means the screen on my 6 way valve has become clogged with debrit, not a big deal take it off clean it and while I have it off I vacuum all the debrit off the surface of the sand. Now this is where I think I screwed up, while vacuuming the sand I pushed the pipe in the center slightly to one side, then to the other while I moved the vacuum around. This allowed the tube and the laterals to lift off the bottom of the pump housing. Now with the center tube sitting 1/4"-3/8" off the bottom the 6 way valve will no longer seal to the pump housing. My thought is I am going to have to remove all the sand and replace it to get this thing seated again, I tried backflushing it while gently pushing down on the 6 way valve to try and get it to seat with no luck. What do you guys think? Is there a better way other than replacing my sand? Lesson learned on this one!!!

Well lesson learned, I ended up cleaning my shop vac out really well and sucking all the sand out. Once that was done I removed the center pipe and laterals and gave them a good cleaning while I had them out. Reinstalled the center pipe and laterals, refilled with the sand in the vacuum, gave it a good backflushing and rinsing and we are back in business! Valuable lesson learned, do not move the center pipe while cleaning the debris off the top of the sand!!! Thank you guys for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.