Coping is cracking around pool???

Wantboost, your going to have to give much more information for someone to be able to help you out. Upload some pictures, tell us where the patches are needed and what you are looking to do..

hope that helps...

You don't give us an overall shot of the pool so it is not clear exactly what is going on.

That is really not a coping--its more of a pour strip. Does your pool have metal walls? Or is the liner attached to this strip of concrete?

I would not patch. If what you say is true and this strip is only 5 years old then something is causing this to happen. Most likely freeze thaw cycles but we don't know that. Patching will only result in more cracking. The concrete is tearing itself apart.

I would remove the whole pour strip and re-pour with a couple of rebar pieces for support-- tie them together every say 18 inches. Sort of like a bond beam. Well not sort of --- a bond beam.

Or you could pour strips along each wall and leave expansion joints at the corners.

As for concrete-- Whatevers on sale at Home Depot or Lowes will work. I would buy something like Quickcrete High Strength but its probably not necessary here.

If the liner is directly attached to the concrete then its a lot more involved.

You should clean out and replace your existing expansion joints.

from the pictures it looks like this was already "patched" and the pictures are what happens when this type of patch is used... did it take 1 or 2 years to look like this?

I think if you dont want to do a full renovation, and if you're considering selling the place, then you might look into something like Quickrete Patch for concre or masonry. That might be about the best you can do without spending a lot of money. Concrete patch is easy enough to use. You will need to remove the loose stuff in order to apply the patch and you should be able to add some color to it in order to make it look the best you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you click on each pic it opens to a bigger pic for better viewing. What I see is a big trip hazard by the steps that will have to be fixed in some way if you are thinking of selling the house.

As for the coping strip. I do not see any way to patch it and make it look good. It will look like a patch and that will lead to other questions.

I would take up the whole strip and repour with the rebar like stated above.

Kim

That cracking is terrible. I've had a lot of concrete work done in the past, mostly sidewalks. It appears they used a hot load of concrete to pour your decking. It will deteriorate more in a very short time.

I wouldn't pay and would insist on it getting it completely ripped out and replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

That cracking is terrible. I've had a lot of concrete work done in the past, mostly sidewalks. It appears they used a hot load of concrete to pour your decking. It will deteriorate more in a very short time.

I wouldn't pay and would insist on it getting it completely ripped out and replaced.

Oops. Sorry. Posted this in the wrong thread

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.