Filling the pool

Not exactly sure, but I've heard it's sometimes prohibited.

I'd love to do that when my new liner gets installed, got a fireplug right on the corner in the front yard.
Would probably fill that hole right quick.

That is how my parents did it back in the mid 90's. I believe it is much more likely if you ask a volunteer fire dept since they are always in need of extra cash. I hear for city dwellers you can often get a meter attached to a hydrant and fill it yourself and the city will bill it to your water account. Best way to find out is to make some calls.

The town I grew up in allowed it. We would "borrow" the hose from the department for a $100 donation and then you paid the town for the water based on the size pool you had. It was very convenient.

The town we live in now has no hydrants so we will be buying water by the semi truck load.

ac

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like the water/sewer utility where I'm moving to offers those "one time discount for significant water usage" so I'll just
go with that to fill my pool when the liner is done & call them. Slower to fill, but much less costly.

My city waives the sewer fees when I tell them I'm filling the pool in the spring since that water will never go in the sewer. Sewer fees are what makes water expensive. I believe last time I put 6000 gallons in my pool it cost me about $20.00 in water.

I have a lawn sprinkler system that is fed by a separate meter, which does not get billed for sewer, so I use a connection off of this to fill the pool if needed. Maybe call the water/sewer company to see if you can get some sort of temporary meter....

Local water service adopted new tiered rates this year, so at the high end (above 6,000 gal I think) the cost is $13/1000gal. A recent bill that included 8,000 of a partial fill was $150; several years ago I filled the entire pool and it was only $168. A full fill now would be about a $350 bill by my estimation. When I did the full fill, the city didn't offer a refund of the sewer charge which is ridiculous IMO.

I don't think the FD will fill here, but haven't asked.

I did call a water delivery company. Their trucks haul 2,400gal and it's $150/truck. So for my pool, $1500 delivered.

It should be interesting when my water bill arrives. They bill every 2 months. The pool company had two hoses in mine, wrapped a rag around the end along with an empty water bottle and it took almost 24 hours to fill up my 25k gallon pool. It actually went faster than I thought. This was for the new Pebble Sheen finish I had applied.

I think I picked probably the worst time to decide to redo my pool what with the drought and new restrictions and all. sigh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.